Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Leaking from Reed cage?

I just rebuilt my 2002 RM125 after the motor blew up. Ran it around the block a few times and everything is great although I noticed a few drops of fuel under the carb ontop of the crankcase. I wiped it up and then today went out riding for the first time on this motor and the bike ran great I couldn't be happier, but something is definitely leaking. It looks like it is coming from the reed cage area. All the bolts are tight. When I look at a parts diagram I don't notice any separate gaskets. Should I use some RTV silicon or will this just be masking the problem. I was under the impression raw liquid fuel shouldn't be getting past the carb. First 2t bike aside from my JR50 I had when I was 5. =P Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

*added pics*

leak1.jpg

Leak2.jpg

Edited by Kyleinator

I don't remember seeing a gasket on either side of my reed cage when I removed it. I also couldn't find a part number for one on Motosport but possibly I'm looking in the wrong diagram. I do however know I cleaned both surfaces very well and made sure there was no debris or anything before I bolted it on to the manufacturers torque specification. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the help Rhino. I installed a new needle and seat, checked the float height, replaced the carb breather hoses and cleaned it up. it is still doing the same thing. It also looks like it could possibly be coming from the seam between the casing at the reed cage rather than the reed itself. This sure has me stumped. 

Okay so I had time to pull my reed cage today and I am pretty confident it is leaking from the cage. There are no gaskets or o-rings but the reed cage has a little built in o-ring looking thing. My guess is that this is worn and not sealing 100%. So it looks like the only way to fix the issue is to buy a new reed cage and new intake pipe. Unfortunately those are pretty expensive, so I just put some gasket sealer and now the leak is MUCH better. So Rhino looks like you were correct! Thanks for the help. If anyone else has this issue, it looks like a new reed cage and intake pipe are what you will need or you can just use some sealant on both surfaces.