Sign in to follow this  

somewhat proper kick start conversion

Was wondering about kickstart conversion.

Ive heard the kicker conversion is "bolt on" to '13 drz400sm thats half the battle.

I was thinking about the possibility of removing the electric start system to shed a few more pounds off the bike, along side running a smaller batery to power the lights.

I have found that there are alternator covers that don't include the extra casting for the starter motor. but there are two versions the 00-01 K33 and the 02-04 K32 alternator covers.

Does anybody have any knowledge if either cover will fit on the current DRZ400 motor cases? the 02-04 K32 cover looks to be the closest match, and the starter clutch removal? But as usual im probably missing some key details.

thanks in advance.

Edited by HooliganNation

It will be too expensive, none would fit without serious modifications within.

The kicker engine is slimmer on that side so the engine casing is also slimmer.

To use the kicker casing you'd have to change the fly wheel, stator and possible the whole crank.

BTW - the kicker has a lighter fly wheel and 50watts less stator power.

It will be too expensive, none would fit without serious modifications within.

The kicker engine is slimmer on that side so the engine casing is also slimmer.

To use the kicker casing you'd have to change the fly wheel, stator and possible the whole crank.

BTW - the kicker has a lighter fly wheel and 50watts less stator power.

thanks, i just found the post that broke down this install. thanks. cancel that idea.

• Like 1

The Kicker motor differs in:

Left side case COVER (center engine cases are the same)

Stator

Left half of the crank

Flywheel

Most of the Kick start kit is bolt in for a DRZ400S. The included manual decompression set up is NOT bolt in for a S/SM head...The head would need to be modified (no idea if anyone is still doing that) or a E style head needs to be installed.

Since the S and SM have auto decomp you dont need the manual decomp parts. Correct?

Well the E has auto decomp on the cam as well, and it uses a manual decomp for the kick starter.

I can tell you I would not want a kick starter without the manual decomp.

Others opinion may very.

Understood.

I guess I should have said WHY.....

Why do I want the manual Decomp with the kick starter.

To clear out the cylinder faster, easier after a drop.

To kick through the stroke until precisely the right point...without having the crank "roll over" past that point as it's apt to do without the manual decomp.

Because after i've gotten myself to the point of being muddy, tired, at the bottom or side of a hill climb.. I want the easiest way possible to kick over the motor. ...and then means a manual decomp

Yeah , I wouldn't pull the E start for a sake of some pounds

yea, thats alot of work just to make more work of starting a bike. if the battery goes find a hill and replace it with lighter battery. thanks to every body for the sharing of thier knowledge.

Well the E has auto decomp on the cam as well, and it uses a manual decomp for the kick starter.

I can tell you I would not want a kick starter without the manual decomp.

Others opinion may very.

Have them on 3 bikes and other than dumping the bike and using to clean out the carb for restarting, they NEVER get used.  Would not miss them. (400cc and smaller)

I guess I should have said WHY.....

Why do I want the manual Decomp with the kick starter.

To clear out the cylinder faster, easier after a drop.

To kick through the stroke until precisely the right point...without having the crank "roll over" past that point as it's apt to do without the manual decomp.

Because after i've gotten myself to the point of being muddy, tired, at the bottom or side of a hill climb.. I want the easiest way possible to kick over the motor. ...and then means a manual decomp

I never touch the decomprssion lever to find TDC.  Easy peasy. Seldom to never go past the stop point. Its pretty clear and not hard to feel. At least on my bikes (2 honda XR's and the DRZ)

Edited by MindBlower