Sign in to follow this  

Brake Upgrade?

Ok guys so I have looked and looked until I'm just about crossed eyed and couldn't find anything so I figured I would open it up to you guys for some help here.  So I love my 250L esp after all the performance mods it really came alive but there is one thing that is just bugging the crap out of me... These terrible brakes!!!!  There are several times that Im wondering if I will stop in time.  I bled the brakes thinking maybe there was some air in the lines, took it to the honda dealer and they said everything looked great but they are extremely disapointing.  At any rate, I figured I would ask you guys if you know of any upgrades to help it stop besides steel braded lines.  I would like to find a big brake kit for it but again no dice.  Any suggestions are welcomed!!!

I love the brakes on my 250M (has the bigger front brake disc) I have looked closely and the hubs and I am sure they are the same. So you could order a new mounting bracket and disc from bikerbitz. 

Alternatively other L owners have replaced the front hose and have reported a vast improvement without going to a big disk. 

• Like 1

it takes some mileage to bed in the brakes. many people reported that it got better.  otherwise you could get different brake pads. Galfer and EBC are available.

• Like 2

I suggest you watch some youtube videos on the proper bedding of brakes and you do not need to search out motorcycle specifics .... I went thru the proper process and my brakes are more than just okay ... they work very well.  :thumbsup:

I should also mention ... my brakes sucked until I did this ....  :ride:

here is a good read for ya ..... http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

i second bedding the brakes...  i can endo on the front and my back i can get good control out of it right up to a full lock...  i might not ride as extreme or hard as some, but i have been happy with them... 

• Like 2

When I rode the bike off the lot brand new I had the same reaction.  I thought they were just awful and I had to really stomp the rear to get it to do any good.  After 400 miles and a lot of glide stops with the front and rear where I increase the tension gradually until a firm application at stop,  I can say the brakes are much better.  I'm sure they'll be perfect once I install those red Galfer lines I have in the garage.   :D

• Like 2

Another thing you could do is change the pads. Not sure what the stock ones are but an HH rated pad should definitely be an upgrade.

Stock rotor diameter is 260mm. The CRF250M rotor diameter is 296mm. The oversize rotor you can get from Warp 9 is 320mm.

I just got my Warp 9 wheels yesterday with the 320mm rotor, and will be fabbing up a bracket to accommodate the larger rotor. If there is interest, I can make a couple extra.

It would take a little while to get them out, though, as I still need to mount and balance the tires, then do a mock up to get dimensions.

• Like 2

If there is interest, I can make a couple extra.

It would take a little while to get them out, though, as I still need to mount and balance the tires, then do a mock up to get dimensions.

Sweet. Put me on that list Bunkka.

I just hit the 550 mile mark. and the brakes are starting to get some bite. from what i have read now is the time i need to do the 10    60 to 20 mph hard braking to get some heat cycles in and bed the pads.   :ride:

and after that ride i am debating checking my valves at the 600 mile mark or taking it into a shop, i am mechanical, but have never gone into a bike engine before, nor have the tools for this project. so spend the  $$$ on tools or $$$ on someone who does this for a living and pick up in a day instead of me having my bike in pieces for days. ha ha ha.  :thinking:

I just hit the 550 mile mark. and the brakes are starting to get some bite. from what i have read now is the time i need to do the 10    60 to 20 mph hard braking to get some heat cycles in and bed the pads.  

and after that ride i am debating checking my valves at the 600 mile mark or taking it into a shop, i am mechanical, but have never gone into a bike engine before, nor have the tools for this project. so spend the  $$$ on tools or $$$ on someone who does this for a living and pick up in a day instead of me having my bike in pieces for days. ha ha ha.  :thinking:

this was my dilemma...  when it came to changing my tires i figured the tools cost as much as getting it changed at the dealership...  when it came to the valves, i figured i would give it a try..  i talked to my dad about coming over and giving me a hand...  he's a life long mechanic...  he said, "marc, to tell you the truth, i think you should bring it to someone who does this day in and day out...  i do not know the motor but surely can figure it out, but i might miss something that will cost you dearly in the long run... let the guy who does it for a living do it..."  he said he still would help me if i wanted, but i know he still has a lot on his plate from my mom passing... so i brought it to the dealership that is closer to me then the "greased axle" place... hahaha.  the mechanic was a nice guy and because i did the oil change and everything else, he just charged me $150 instead of the $250...  

• Like 5

Did they need any adjustment Eyeopenher?

yes... the mechanic who did it wasn't there when i picked it up, but the office manager guy said he was there with him when he did it and the intake was on the higher side of the tolerance. so he changed them back to a spec...  other then that, the office guy said mine was the first crf250 they worked on. but it being the cbr250, they said it was cake walk... he also did mention the mechanic said the everything looked good from what he can see and the rest of the bike is immaculate..  i will be tattooing him next month also, so it was a win win.

the short of it, they were not out real bad... just almost to the point... so they were brought back into spec..  this was only the intake valves...

• Like 4

keep in mind these are SCOOTER brakes! I replaced my fluid when I did my lines with DOT 5 synth, and then got the best pads. 

Now, there are many types of pads available, check them out for your conditions, as the material is not a one size fits all. There are a lot on Ebay!

This is about the best you can do unless you want to change out completely.

• Like 3

i second bedding the brakes...  i can endo on the front and my back i can get good control out of it right up to a full lock...  i might not ride as extreme or hard as some, but i have been happy with them... 

I third it. and make sure to check any paperwork that comes with the pads or check the mfg website if there is no paperwork because in addition to putting pad material on the rotor, in many cases, you are curing the pad compound material itself. most pads that require bedding will have a suggested procedure, e.g. 6 runs from 65phm to 40pmh, then 3 runs from 40mpg to a 5mph. such procedures reflect the mfg's calculations of what will generate the appropriate heat levels to cure the compound material for the appropriate amount of time. generally, the higher the fade resistance of the pad material, the higher the temp (and speed of the bed-in runs) needed to cure the pad. my car's street pads call for a few runs from 65 and my track pads need a few runs from 110. 

Also, if you are experiencing brake fade (the reason for larger diameter rotors--more heat dissipation and thus cooler pads and fluid) remember that if you squeeze the brake and the bike does not stop and you have firm lever pressure, you are fading your pads. If you squeeze the brakes and the bike does not stop and the brake lever is not firm, then you are fading/boiling the fluid. you can upgrade accordingly and independently.

Edited by waygreen
  • Like 3

Rick, if we had the scooterbike model and year we could find them. i spent hours searching and trying to figure it out, they call those different names in different countries. i forget what it was but there are two names, and different years.....i couldn'tfind pics of the calipers, all i found were ads like craigslist in Malaysia and the pics were crap. 

It would be nice to put the CRF-R calipers on it.   .................

Edited by Cat ji

Will find out for sure but they are the Sonic and Wave models, forget which one is front and rear, will find out today

• Like 2

Got the wheels and tires sorted today. I am working a lot of overtime at work, but should be able to fab the bracket within a week or so.

post-367603-1398541757098.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398541765.812319.jpg

• Like 8

Rick, that would be great, quite useful, just try to get the year/models. No hurry, just whenever, you get the chance.

When i searched Wave and Sonic /and/or whatever it's called in Europe, the results were just not useful. 
yeah, the Brembo copies, they look nice but i wonder,, are they are good as they look. All those drag race bikes have them.  

Edited by Cat ji