1986 honda xr250r rebuild!

There seems to be a lot of threads of people rebuilding their bikes and I figured ill add mine in here! Its not done although im getting closer. Ive posted dozens of questions and im getting to know the bik pretty well so ill share all my stories and pictures and thoughts!

So to start off with how I came across the "Mink" as i call my bike ;) I was going around working one day (I work for Comcast, im a contractor) and I saw this old arse bike sitting on a trailer in somebody's driveway! I had a gut feeling and just pulled over to ask the guy if he'd sell it... and he did! He said he had no clue what was wrong with it but he though the connecting rod broke :huh: so he said 75$ and its mine! So I took it and put it on my trailer :D

1398257024052.jpg

• Like 1

Thats what the bike looked like! And ive come a very long way since then but ill let ya guys know that soon.

I got the bike to my garage and tried the basic things.... new gas, topped off oil, checked for spark and "compression"... everything I though was ok but little did I know. After about another month took the cylinder head top off to reveal there was a nut from the valve adjusters that came loose! I simply put it back in place and thought all my troubles were over! The engine spun free so I put it back on the bike and gave her a valve adjustment anf thats when things gor fishy...

So then it gets good :) I take off the exhaust of the bike because the valve adjustment just isnt going as good as I'd hoped... and I look into the left exhaust pipe hole into the engine and ya know what I see? Well nothing! There's no valve there! Hahaha :blink:

The valve was stuck in the head so it looked like it was still intact from looking at the top. But the valve head came off the shaft of the valve... and poked a good hole right through the piston! And ate my cylinder head up!

1398258800111.jpg

1398258829572.jpg

1398258847788.jpg

Since my discovery I have taken the complete engine apart! Well almost... I was impatient upon waiting for my manual about 3 months ago and something in my mind told me to cut the cam chain... so I did and I grinded the beach off! My bad.... haha just ordered a new K&L cam chain for 75$ a day ago... should be here soon!

Also in the meantime of me screwing up the engine more I did a front fork rebuild! I had to make my own tool to hold the damper rod! That was a fun thread I created... I felt so stupid haha.

IF ANYONE NEEDS THE TOOL I CAN LOAN IT TO YOU :)

So I took the fork apart and cleaned them really good! And put some new seals in because the old ones leaked a wee bit. Other parts inside the tubes looked ok so I put them back together and no problems since (though I haven't risen on them yet).

Also put some nice new fork boots on!

Forgot to mention I ripped apart the frame and did a hand sand and paint job! Sanded all the frame down (as much as I could) and then used some automotive primer and engine aluminum paint! Works great and seems really tough! I cant scratch it off easily.

1398259483095.jpg

I painted the brake rod, foot rests/pedals, engine skid plate with "roll bar and chassis paint" that stuff I love! Painted a racing kart frame with it too and its still holding up.

Also painted the rear spring with a black epoxy shock paint! Stuff was made for shocks and spings.

Painted the plastics too! I know a lot of people go against this put here's how I did it... and it honestly works good!

First I cleaned the plastics with some carb cleaner. Then used some fine sand paper to remove the clear coat and gloss. Then used a very coarse paper to rough the plastics up a lot! Dont stop until the plastics look really roughly scratched! Then take the fine sand paper again and just go over it real quickly to slightly smooth it out.

Then I used valspar (brand name not cheap) paint and sprayed 3 coats on. Then I hit it with an automotive clear coat and its pretty tough! It'll still prob chip if enough rocks hit it but it definitely works and looks good for cheap!

1398261242153.jpg

Im setting up a tusk wiring harness on the Mink! So pictures will come soon for that.

Im sending the stator in to Ricky stators so I can get 150 watts out of her instead of 75 stock.

As for the engine just waiting on the tools and parts so once those come ill post some pictures of the bottom end rebuild... the bottom end needs to be cleaned out because of the bits of aluminum and other metals from the piston getting a hole punched in it and something else seemed to be grinding down there.

Here's my bars after everything was installed! Kill switch and light switch in the middle, mirrors, new levers, etc

1398265878254.jpg

Also put some nice new fork boots on!

What brand of boots did you use?  Do they fit down all the way onto the lower fork sliders?  (They're not all the way down in the picture.)

The silver frame looks great, it definitely updates the look of the bike.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What brand of boots did you use? Do they fit down all the way onto the lower fork sliders? (They're not all the way down in the picture.)

The silver frame looks great, it definitely updates the look of the bike. :thumbsup:

I used DayStar boots. Got them from Rocky Mountain Atv/mc :) they fit perfectly and they were only 28$ for the pair! Ill take a better picture in the morning. They cover everything that needs to be covered on the forks!

I'll take a better picture in the morning.

Please do.  Thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Jim_B

Here's a closer picture of the forks! The DayStar's do have enough stretch to go farther down but I like them were they are :)

1398376853626.jpg

I like to cover my plastics while im working on the bike! A 20 cent garbage bag can save them from a mis thrown tool and it keeps the oil spills and such off it :)

Currently trying to rip this engine apart! Tools are still in the mail so doing what I can!

My new cam chain just shipped :unsure: after a week of me ordering it I called and they said they would ship it out today... ive never ordered with XR's Only but they ship slow.... lol

My work/shop table is a lot brighter than it appears in thr picture! I have a halide back yard spot light illuminating it :D

1398377217721.jpg

1398377277757.jpg

As I mentioned in the post before... the garbage bag is to help protect from mis thrown tools... haha rough night! Have to get all these oem honda tools :angry:

Well... waiting for more tools in the mail now! This engine is looking pretty torn up in here too :mellow: ill post some picture of the wear spots tomorrow.

While im in the engine I think im just gonna throw in a new clutch assembly, and all new bolts and gaskets of course, and maybe some gears.. who knows what the inside looks like :huh:

More to come soon ;) If anyone wants to buy this bike when im done ill sell it for 3000 hahaha ^_^ honestly it'll be completely redone and a lot of new parts. But unless I actually got 3000 im keeping the old girl :) I fell in love with her along the trip so far

Trying to get stuff done but the mail is being slow and most of the tools I need are in the mail haha!

Just put on a brand new IRC tire today :)

size is 3.00 - 21

Used the old tube it looked pretty good! Used some baby powder on the tube to make an easy fit! (Helps it slide around and not get pinched and such)

Tire is 50-50 on and off road dot approved! ;)

Also my fly wheel holder came in the mail today so ill post pictures if I can get to the engine later tonight! Got my 14 tooth main engine sprocket today too!

1398558715909.jpg

1398558874234.jpg

1398558906099.jpg

Dont think my plastics look bad at all painted!

It's not that they look bad right after you've painted them.  The ones that I've seen with paint on them tend to look rough after the bike is ridden a few times.