Sign in to follow this  

First race coming up! Tips/advice please!

Hey guys , it's been awhile! I've been riding timidly on a friends crf450 2013 fir about a year now. Riding it I was timid of jumps and corners, just not "confident" on it. Just recently I picked up an 02 kx250 and man I love it! 100% more confident, I can rail corners/ruts with confidence, and suddenly jumps are not an issue anymore! I hit The local 70' step up repeatedly all day and later on even hit it with enough speed to clear it completely and land the roller on the other side.

My buddy who's bike I've been riding (B rider) says the confidence gain is largely due to me having my own bike, and not being a scared of damaging it. I personally believe I'm just much more comfortable on a 2 stroke.

Anyways, my first race is coming up Sunday. I've been practicing corners and starts every chance I get, on a typical start with my b rider friend I can keep my front tire at his back tire, so I feel in doing well there.

As of right now, I have one big scary problem. Every time I sky wheelie I freeze and wait it out. Mentally I scream at myself to hit the brake but I just don't do it and I can't figure out how to overcome this, and it's the one thing keeping my confidence subdued. Any help with this would be great!

Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

I don't think it's a 2 stroke 4 stroke thing as much as being on a smaller bike (likely 20 lbs less). A 450 is quite an animal to start on (not that the 250 smoker isn't). If you're that nose high a brake tap isn't going to fix it. You're doing something wrong coming off the face of the jump. Have someone video tape you jumping and look at your body positioning. Suspension set up correctly?

If you're talking about being nose hi while jumping, the way I taught myself to correct it, was to put the bike on a sturdy stand.  Get on it and for about 5 minutes a day, practice clutch in , tap rear brake , clutch out . Do it smoothly.  I just did this over and over. I was trying to develop muscle memory . I did this on and off over a 2 week period.  The next time it happened I did the brake tap without thinking. It happened so fast I was on the ground before I realized I did it right.

Now as to why you're jumping nose high.... that can be body position, suspension set up , a combination  of the two or throttle control..... I rarely end up nose high nowadays. But it's good to know what to do if it happens again.