Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Out of State Plated bike moving to OR?

Hi all,

I'm looking at changing locations with my job and a couple of the options are in Bend or Portland.  I'm excited to move back out west after living in Ohio and Philly for a couple of years.  

When I was living in Ohio, I got my '08 CRF450X plated with an M/C title instead of an off road title only.  My registration is good for 2 more years and I am looking to get a Oregon plate when I move, but I am worried after what i have been reading on here.  Is it going to be a problem to get it plated if it still has the original VIN#s that have it as a off road motorcycle even though my title says M/C?

All of the info that i saw was old so I'm just looking for an update.

Thanks!20140328_210112_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jp

I believe that if the title is a "CYC" title (meaning motorcycle) instead of an ORV title, you shouldn't have a problem. I live in WA and we had the most repressive licensing problems a couple years ago, people loosing plates etc, some of them deserving so. Last year I purchased a KDX with a CYC title, popped up to the county annex and transfered title and registration w/o any problem. The only way that I see a problem is if they make you go to the State Patrol to get the title transfered (inspection).....But If the bike is street legal, I'd ride it over and have it inspected.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for the reply. Do you know what the requirements are (as far as equipment)? In PA all you need is a headlight, taillight and a mirror, no turn signals needed

Edited by WhiskeyBadger

Slightly off subject but  related to dirt bikes in OR.

Although no sales tax in OR transferring Title is about $100,  which you need for registration and a plate.  One of my sons lives in OR and for dirt bikes because of the cost they seldom register, or transfer Title, unless they are plated for road use. OR does not require Title or Registration for OHV tags, just the VIN number and money, and you buy the tags from agents like a fishing license.

Slightly off subject but related to dirt bikes in OR.

Although no sales tax in OR transferring Title is about $100, which you need for registration and a plate. One of my sons lives in OR and for dirt bikes because of the cost they seldom register, or transfer Title, unless they are plated for road use. OR does not require Title or Registration for OHV tags, just the VIN number and money, and you buy the tags from agents like a fishing license.

That's a good point too, I was reading that you have to pass a safety test or something. Is it one tag per bike or is it a tag for the rider kind if like a license? I have a cr125 as well and I dont want to have to register both bikes

Along that topic, when I get my street legal bike transfered, do i need an OHV permit in addition to my plate?

The safety course is free online and they mail you a card. For the OHV stickers you need one on each bike. They are about $10 and last two years.

Just so you know Oregon will take your money give you a plate only to get a letter in the mail asking for the plate back stating you have an off road bike, and not give you a refund. If you want a street legal dirtbike move to Washington not Oregon or go buy a bike that is street legal from the factory. I don't know how the hippies took over the wild west but they did.

In order to title an out of state bike in oregon. You have to take it in for a vin inspection. They also follow the vin code for licensing. If it is an offroad vin no plate.

Just my $.02, but I just bought a new to me dual sported xr650r. I took my money in & had no issues transferring the title, granted it was in state, but the bike is technically listed as a dirt bike.

Just my $.02, but I just bought a new to me dual sported xr650r. I took my money in & had no issues transferring the title, granted it was in state, but the bike is technically listed as a dirt bike.

So according to dune bum....look for a letter asking for it back :excuseme:

Joe

So according to dune bum....look for a letter asking for it back :excuseme:

Joe

They can ask for it back, doesn't mean they will get it. Lol

They can ask for it back, doesn't mean they will get it. Lol

That is what many of us KTM owners thought a few years ago in WA......the state sent us all letters voiding our plates and sent orv tags. We had no choice in the matter and weren't required to actually send back the plates, they were just erased. My guess is a hefty fine and or confiscation if ignored........

Joe