Sign in to follow this  

1976 Kawasaki ke 125

I'm restoring my ke its been a farm bike since it was new. it has 80,000 original miles on the speedo but it quit working in about 95 so its got a lot of Niles but still runs great. I'm restoring it taking all lights off accept headlight and putting an expansion chamber and dual spark plugs and jets would these things give me much power? Its fast but needs a little more power I figure the expansion chamber helps and the extra plugs and jets too. I also got a race clutch for it.

I am not sure what you mean about adding jets, unless it needs some fine tuning.  Don't mess with the dual plug, it won't give you anymore power the extra plug hole is for a compression release or a backup plug for if you foul the primary one.  If you can find a used performance expansion chamber that would be a good addition.  Otherwise if you want more power, focus on smoothing out the exhaust port (don't enlarge it), taking off the sharp edges, casting flash and easing the transitions in the transfer ports, port matching the cylinder/gaskets/case and also cutting the rotary valve for more duration.  What is a "race clutch" I would like to see that.

However the best "mods" for more performance on a bike like that is weight reduction.  Plastic fenders, removing superfluous brackets, aluminum handlebars, lighter foot pegs.  Suspension is another thing however that bike it might be hard to find shocks that are a better improvement outside of expensive universal units.  There is really nothing that can be done with the forks (outside of emulators from Race Tech maybe) adding a fork brace will help.

It has custom rear suspension front forks need to be completely replaced

Pics?  Did someone made a different/lighter/longer/shorter swing arm?  Are the front forks bent or just so rusty they would need major repairs and re-plating?  You have peaked my interest with this project.  I have done a similar thing with my F9 project (full video series)

80,000 or 8,000? I'm betting the latter. Post some pics. Who owned it first? Get a replacement title and put it on the road. If you don't, at least get a title and keep the lights so somebody else can. Lots of people loved the dual sport two strokes back in the day and would buy one if they got a chance today.

Keep us posted.

If you want to run it in dirt you can use 74-76 KX125 parts.  The KX trans is close ratio, no big gap between 1-2. You can run a KX top end (piston, cylinder, head) but you can't mix with KE parts since the KE has a taller cylider and piston.  You see KX down pipes on Ebay every so often, there was one a week or so ago.  But the 70's KX stuff is real pricey.  The 70's KX/KE/KD/KS bikes share alot of parts.

If you want to tune what you have I'd suggest sending your cylinder and head to Klemms.  I talked to him about getting some ponies out of a KE100 and he seems to know what to do for big gains.  One thing he did mention to me was the pipes they used were pretty good, so I'd try porting and headwork first.  

Edited by Jeekinz

My grandad bought it new so its still with original owners

And I'll clean the head and port it a little

Well then just do internal mods and keep the exterior original

My grandad bought it new so its still with original owners

And I'll clean the head and port it a little

If he's got paperwork, great. If he doesn't politely ask him to file for new paperwork because frankly,  once he kicks the bucket, it's gonna be a real pain or perhaps impossible to get a title.

PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTION! 8k or 80k miles. I think 80k would be some sort of record!

• Like 1

80 but the speedo stopped at like 79 or so but it was used about 5 years after that

Wow, that's impressive. May very well be a record. How many pistons you put in it? Post a photo of the speedo when you get a chance too. Thanks.

I myself haven't replaced any I think my dad put one in and my grandad did so just two. And I actually just took the speedo to a shop to be redone I'll see if he can leave out on the mileage

Got the clutch in and I got a pipe or expansion chamber to be specific itlk take a little fabrication. It fits the port and it has clearance between header piece and the tire. All parts point d all nuts and bolts have been acid bathed to clean rust off and now have a clear glossy rust resistant on them. Just thought I'd update yalk

PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTION! 8k or 80k miles. I think 80k would be some sort of record!

Frankly, I wouldn't trust the reading on a non-functional Japanese MC speedo from the 80's or earlier.  One of the things I've seen over and over is odo's that start rolling over numbers out of sequence (the 10K roller turns as the 1K roller passes a certain number, stuff like that). 

Do you know if the bike ever had crank work done? That would be amazing if it did not!