Sign in to follow this  

XR650L slow starter warm wires on new rebuild

So this is my first post. I searched all over and could not find a similar problem. I just picked up this bike a few days ago. Its a 94 xr650l. I finally got it back together and when I put the battery in to prime the engine the starter was spinning slowly and then the battery started to smoke a little. The positive and ground wires were really hot. I have tried 3 batteries all with the same outcome. I am not sure if the wiring is bad.. still stock, or if the starter is bad.. or something else. Here is a before and after.. still needs some work. 2014-04-19 17.29.35.jpgIMG_20140420_164416.jpg

History on the bike. The previous owner bought the bike and seized the motor his first ride. He had the top end rebuilt and didn't have the time or knowledge to put the bike back together. I have a new chain, sprockets, tires, grips, levers, and plastics being delivered today and want to get this pig running as soon as possible. 

Edited by shouldbestudying

Loosen the cover on the pinion end of the starter (it has 5 securing bolts) and just press the starter switch - if it turns OK that is where the problem is.  if you refitted the shims incorrectly when refitting the  starter motor  it could be too tight.... 

• Like 1

i would have to say the starter may need rebuild or replacement. engine has oil in it right? if not, the added friction would cause it to turn over slow and heat the starter and wires and draw down the battery quickly. something is causing a high current draw thru those wires. the terminal on the battery is lead and ive seen one melt from this condition.

i would have to say the starter may need rebuild or replacement. engine has oil in it right? if not, the added friction would cause it to turn over slow and heat the starter and wires and draw down the battery quickly. something is causing a high current draw thru those wires. the terminal on the battery is lead and ive seen one melt from this condition.

Its might need replacing now... yea I have 1.5 quarts in the engine. 

Loosen the cover on the pinion end of the starter (it has 5 securing bolts) and just press the starter switch - if it turns OK that is where the problem is.  if you refitted the shims incorrectly when refitting the  starter motor  it could be too tight.... 

Oh wow... I feel really dumb. All of the parts for the bike were in a box and i just threw the starter on. I didn't use shims. I just double checked. there weren't any shims or a thrust washer. I guess i need to order some parts. 

Edited by shouldbestudying

My starter was draging as well. I pulled it off and apart. Found out the brushes were stuck in end plate, causing an air gap between brushes and armature. A little scotchbrite on the armature and freed up brushes put it together and runs like a champ. Good luck.