Sign in to follow this  

First race!

Hey guys , it's been awhile! I've been riding timidly on a friends crf450 2013 fir about a year now. Riding it I was timid of jumps and corners, just not "confident" on it. Just recently I picked up an 02 kx250 and man I love it! 100% more confident, I can rail corners/ruts with confidence, and suddenly jumps are not an issue anymore! I hit The local 70' step up repeatedly all day and later on even hit it with enough speed to clear it completely and land the roller on the other side.

My buddy who's bike I've been riding (B rider) says the confidence gain is largely due to me having my own bike, and not being a scared of damaging it. I personally believe I'm just much more comfortable on a 2 stroke.

Anyways, my first race is coming up Sunday. I've been practicing corners and starts every chance I get, on a typical start with my b rider friend I can keep my front tire at his back tire, so I feel in doing well there.

As of right now, I have one big scary problem. Every time I sky wheelie I freeze and wait it out. Mentally I scream at myself to hit the brake but I just don't do it and I can't figure out how to overcome this, and it's the one thing keeping my confidence subdued. Any help with this would be great!

Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

If it's a jump you know it's probably going to happen on try to lean farther forward off the lip. Or squat instead of standing like normal. If your comfortable seat bounce it

Get comfortable with a jump and just practice pulling in the clutch and hitting the brake. When you do it the first time, the second time will become easier. Remember, practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

2nd gear is not going to happen, our tracks bite hard at the gate usually. Full throttle and dump/slip the clutçh it bogs bad in first.

Don't just dump the clutch. Engage the clutch aggressively but modulate it. The kx should have more than enough power to shoot out of the hole in 2nd. What gearing do you have on your sprockets?

2nd gear is not going to happen, our tracks bite hard at the gate usually. Full throttle and dump/slip the clutçh it bogs bad in first.

I would start in 2nd gear on a 125. Guarantee your bike has enough grunt to start in 2nd. Dumping the clutch like that is a good way to wheelie over. Gotta be aggressive but progressive.

My best advice to you (I just raced my first race and broke my foot but completed both motos) is go out and race your race. Ride at your pace and you're gonna pass people. If you try and ride their pace they will pass you. Just have fun. It's nervracking but exhilarating. Have fun

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398385708.401821.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398385733.438146.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398385757.070549.jpg

My first race lol?

Howd it go did you survive? Did you wreck anybody?

• Like 1

I hope Cwarta figured out how to tame down his "sky wheelies". Brandon sure didn't. 

• Like 3

Finished 15'th over all in 250c, went down a total of 7 times today lol. No damage to me or the bike though

Out of 7 wrecks surely you took somebody out at least a couple times. When s your next race?

I ment 7 times in total between practice and raceing lol. Nope never took anyone out but got taken down by a lapper :/ I finished 15 out of 19. Next race should be this Saturday . 2 day event

I ment 7 times in total between practice and raceing lol. Nope never took anyone out but got taken down by a lapper :/ I finished 15 out of 19. Next race should be this Saturday . 2 day event

Son you have to bonzi his ass next time you race him. Damn your first race and your lappin the field what the hell. Next race we need to see pics of you takin that damn lapper out the sorry bastard

• Like 1