Sign in to follow this  

What is causing this? ** video

Is it possible for an improper fuel mixture to cause this bogging down? My son made the fuel so I'm not sure if it is correct. WTH: http://youtu.be/nrroG_qjpgU

Is this smoking excessive? I already pulled the carb and cleaned it, it looked fine. This started after my son laid the bike downdown and bent the handle bars to shreds. I took apart the throttle cable/lever it it looks okay. Could a kinked cable cause it? After the bike bogs and cuts off, the plug is literally dripping wet.

What are symptoms of a bike with too much oil or too little? Gas is an easy fix, yes, but my son mixed 10 gallons of it... :-/

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Hiesenberg

Use the choke for starting only. Once it starts take off the choke and give it enough throttle to keep it running happily until the cylinder is warm. Your boy was horsing the throttle on a cold engine with the choke on. Of course it's loading up.

Thanks for the tips. There is no riding the bike, it will not stay running at all, choke or no choke. Coolant hasn't dropped. That was the first start of the day. Pulling the plug from just that leaves the plug entirely saturated with fuel. I mean nearly dripping wet. I have to leave the plug out and let the cylinder dry before bike will even try to start again. Last night, gas was dripping fairly good from one of the tubes attached to the carb. I'm lost.

Last night, gas was dripping fairly good from one of the tubes attached to the carb.

That says that the float is stuck or that the float needle is leaking. It will massively flood the engine with fuel.

• Like 1

Okay, the bike will now idle on its own. I let it do so for a few minutes but when I touched the throttle AT ALL, it immediately bogged and died. Pulled the plug and it's wet as hell, again.

The screw on the carb (not the idle), is it actually an air screw and not an air/fuel mixture or fuel screw? That being the case, it possible it's just not getting enough air?

once its warm and dies, you need to hold it wide open and kickstart it and keep holding it wideopen until it stops loading up and clears out. do not use the choke at all.

also clean your needle valve with a cue-tip chucked in to a drill so it stops flooding out.

Edited by Wild Alaskan

It's an air screw. Should be about 1.5 turns out from fully seated

If it's leaking gas out the tubes, it's your float height or float valve. I twisted the float all to hell on my kid's 100 trying to check the main jet in the bike and it did what yours is doing. Also check that the needle is seated properly in the slide. 

Also, why is the silencer end cap upside down?

You can try shutting the fuel off and starting it.  This will prefent the needle from letting any more fuel in.

07 kx 100. Like I said, ran amazingly well before The Wreck And My Sons fuel. No one has commented on this. Is it possible too little or too much oil in the mix could cause any of this?

I've already tried running it with fuel off, didn't help. Wouldn't start at all.

Silencer fixed. :-/ My doing. I'm not a tard, I swear. I've raced fairly high powered cars for years. I'm just used to dealing with a stand alone AEM and 30+ psi of boost. This carb thing is for the birds.

how did your son mix the fuel and gas? do you know the ratio.  Has he mixed his oil and gas before?  It is not difficult at all but I know people who could mess up a steel ball bearing

07 kx 100. Like I said, ran amazingly well before The Wreck And My Sons fuel. No one has commented on this. Is it possible too little or too much oil in the mix could cause any of this?

I've already tried running it with fuel off, didn't help. Wouldn't start at all.

Silencer fixed. :-/ My doing. I'm not a tard, I swear. I've raced fairly high powered cars for years. I'm just used to dealing with a stand alone AEM and 30+ psi of boost. This carb thing is for the birds.

I doubt the mix has anything to do with it. But it doesn't take anything to drain the tank and put some fresh known mix in.

Check the float height and that the needle is seated in the slide. You said you had the carb off, so maybe you tweaked one of those taking it apart. Not calling you out in any way as I've dorked up my fair share of them. The float on that carb is easy to mess up just by removing the bowl.

Before you try starting it again, leave the fuel off, pull the plug and kick it over a bunch to clear any fuel that may have puddled in the case. Maybe check the pipe too.

kx100floatheight_zpsb7299d52.jpg 

Edited by ubu

one oither thing, if the fuel/oil wasnt fully mixed, or was mixed in the gas tank you probably have a pool of pure oil in your carb that is causing the exact symptom in the video, pull the bolt on the bottom of the carb and see if there is a pool of oil in it.

It's running, much less smoke as well. Not sure what it was exactly but cleaning the pics out of the carb seemed to do the trick. That, or I unknowingly changed something putting the carb back together which is entirely possible. It did take a little bit of running for it to clear out but seems good now.

Now the question is : http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1081877-how-to-feel-when-running-too-richlean/#entry11548934

Edited by Hiesenberg