Sign in to follow this  

Rear Side Panels Drz-400SM

Hi guys,

I have a new Drz-400SM and the stock Rear side panel plastics are very disgusting, They make the bike look so short.. I would love to find some nice short plastics. I'm talking about the plastics that cover the muffler and hold the battery..

Anyone know which plastics would be good replacement? I've seen the Acerbis Side Panels but I'm not sure how short they are? Anyone got a picture of them on your bike?

Thanks,

Logan

Hi guys,

I have a new Drz-400SM and the stock Rear side panel plastics are very disgusting, They make the bike look so short.. I would love to find some nice short plastics. I'm talking about the plastics that cover the muffler and hold the battery..

Anyone know which plastics would be good replacement? I've seen the Acerbis Side Panels but I'm not sure how short they are? Anyone got a picture of them on your bike?

Thanks,

Logan

You're on your own.

aftermarket plastics are direct OEM replacements

Hmm. So I'm gonna have to start carving my own then huh... Lol I've honestly been thinking about just trimming them up but I don't want them to look rugged..

dk619304.jpg

Those look pretty short but I can't find a picture of them on a bike... :(

Edited by EzLooker

You're on your own.

aftermarket plastics are direct OEM replacements

+1

Nothing sort of buying replacements and modifying them yourself... as far as I know.  Personally I don't care for how the original side panels look in one color:

2008-suzuki-dr-z400-8.jpg

I prefer to have little triangular graphics (black in this case) that make them look more like side number plates:

photo.JPG

• Like 3

Ok, So look how sick this bike looks just because the custom rear panels..... I'm so jealous.. I love the look of this.

DRZR.jpg

To each his own... If you like that look, start trimming.. or use graphics to alter the look.

Personally, I look at those plastics above and I think "hacked" 

So do you guys have any suggestions on good cutting tools for thick plastic? I was thinking a small knife saw then kinda filing the edges down to smooth it up. Anyone have any better Ideas?

Might be good to cut them with a heated blade of some sort. Must exist in some form? But also might be overengineering ...

Razor blade heated by a propane torch held with vise grips. A friend cut his I wanna say with a jigsaw and then lightly sanded the rough edges. U can't even tell really. Plastic can be cut very easily, I would razor knife the lines u want a bunch to get a nice line then test scrap plastic cutting techniques. Or start testing first then just cut. Show us what u come up with

• Like 1

Razor blade heated by a propane torch held with vise grips. A friend cut his I wanna say with a jigsaw and then lightly sanded the rough edges. U can't even tell really. Plastic can be cut very easily, I would razor knife the lines u want a bunch to get a nice line then test scrap plastic cutting techniques. Or start testing first then just cut. Show us what u come up with

Might be good to cut them with a heated blade of some sort. Must exist in some form? But also might be overengineering ...

I like the heated razor blade I was kinda thinking something like that but I also like the idea of trying things out on some plastic before I go ahead and do it. thanks, for the the ideas. I'll look into the jigsaw and sanding stuff too.

Thanks,

Logan

Hmm. So I'm gonna have to start carving my own then huh... Lol I've honestly been thinking about just trimming them up but I don't want them to look rugged..

dk619304.jpg

Those look pretty short but I can't find a picture of them on a bike... :(

mr. ezlooker get yourself some masking tape and a small hack saw, a file, and a lighter. Follow the rear fender line with the tape and cut away. The file the edged and use lighter to smooth it out. Be careful and precise it will come out nice. Small corner of the battery box will show but who cares lol.

1398432655024.jpg

1398432686631.jpg

1398432725178.jpg

• Like 2

mr. ezlooker get yourself some masking tape and a small hack saw, a file, and a lighter. Follow the rear fender line with the tape and cut away. The file the edged and use lighter to smooth it out. Be careful and precise it will come out nice. Small corner of the battery box will show but who cares lol.

Another fellow member did the same, Signman606

That's interesting! I cut mine with a forstner bit, mostly because I've used it for wood working projects before and am familiar with it. Have never thought to try one of these before, but they do look like they make a clean cut. Nice job, BTW!! As far as cutting, I ran my panels thru my bandsaw, then sanded smooth on my horizontal sander (54" belt), then touched it up with fine sandpaper, but for the most part, it came out good.

Radtechsknobs003_zpsfafe19f7.jpg

434Graphics001_zps874d2932.jpg

• Like 3

I do not like any aftermarket headlights,  but yours seems nice,  cause it has a fairing look to it,  got any more pics?

Nice bike btw. 

• Like 1

Ok, So look how sick this bike looks just because the custom rear panels..... I'm so jealous.. I love the look of this.

DRZR.jpg

show the other side, with the battery box hanging out.... 

i'll agree with one thing htough, i'm jealous of his pandabear sticker too - - - thats what makes it badass, and prolly adds 5 hp

Edited by ohgood

here's mine...not as dramatic but still looks better than stock.

1488685_3773135222668_285953802_n.jpg

993842_3773135942686_73183284_n.jpg

Edited by lakeportmike
  • Like 1

I do not like any aftermarket headlights, but yours seems nice, cause it has a fairing look to it, got any more pics?

Nice bike btw.

Thanks yours is most definitely bad ass too AMR racing graphics really make.thes3 bikes look cool. The headlight is a moose racing species light it's not DOT but it works great and looks cool.

1398472115290.jpg

1398472129805.jpg

1398472144411.jpg

1398472166526.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks yours is most definitely bad ass too AMR racing graphics really make.thes3 bikes look cool. The headlight is a moose racing species light it's not DOT but it works great and looks cool.

she's a little dirty up close lol I ride it too much to wash it. I hit 16000 miles like 2 days ago already up to 16436
  • Like 1