Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha to Release Electric Dirt and Street Bikes

From Autoblog.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love the idea of an electric bike. I'd consider one if they can keep the weight down, bring the range over 2hrs of real world riding, and get the charge times down to a reasonable window. A weight of 187lbs sounds good, though. The big question is what it will cost. Thoughts?

Well for starters I don't want it to be a yz80 with an electric engine, as shown.

The scale of it sitting next to the streetbike makes me think it's closer in size to a 125.

Edit: looking at the video of the street version, you may be right. If it is the size of an 80, that sucks.

Edited by usagi

I'd be all over a 40+ hp full sized electric bike, even if it only lasted an hour on a single charge (I have a few acres of land). 

We have an electric mini / trials bike for my daughter and they are awesome.  My 5 year old daughter rides it just about every day. We were camping down in Fruita last week in the nation forest campground and no-one blinked an eye when she was riding it around the campground and the visitors center parking lot.  If she was riding a PW50 we would have got shut down in an instant.

We taught her to stand up going down curbs right near the entrance to the visitors center and all we got were smiles and thumbs up from everyone.  In fact one retired lady came out of her RV to tell us that she was an ex-cop and her husband had taught her how to mount a curb on her Harley-Davidson back in the day.

IMHO electric will be a game changer for this sport in terms of public relations and getting new trails open.  But I still think they are 5-10 years off from being legitimate replacements for a 450.

Im not fond of the idea at all, ud have to lug some huge bulky charger and probably even a generator depending on how many volts it would take to charge them up around, and sit at camp or at the track and wait for the damn thing to charge, there would have to be alot of testing and proving for me to be convinced to buy one. Call me old school but i hope im already to old to throw a leg over one before they take over the market. i know they've been playing with idea for a while now first the batteries life was terrible, the rims and spokes wouldnt hold up to the abuse of off road trails, was in Barstow years ago when the started testing on small version and they had alot of issues to address, thats my opinion

I'd be all over a 40+ hp full sized electric bike, even if it only lasted an hour on a single charge (I have a few acres of land). 

We have an electric mini / trials bike for my daughter and they are awesome.  My 5 year old daughter rides it just about every day. We were camping down in Fruita last week in the nation forest campground and no-one blinked an eye when she was riding it around the campground and the visitors center parking lot.  If she was riding a PW50 we would have got shut down in an instant.

We taught her to stand up going down curbs right near the entrance to the visitors center and all we got were smiles and thumbs up from everyone.  In fact one retired lady came out of her RV to tell us that she was an ex-cop and her husband had taught her how to mount a curb on her Harley-Davidson back in the day.

IMHO electric will be a game changer for this sport in terms of public relations and getting new trails open.  But I still think they are 5-10 years off from being legitimate replacements for a 450.

I assume you have the Oset. I'm planning to get one for my son when he's old enough. They seem like the perfect fit for a first bike.

What I'd really like an e-dirtbike do is fill a slot like a street-legal KDX200. Light trail bike with enough power to connect trails. It would be much more useful to the average person that never sees a MX track. The 450 replacements can wait IMO. Charge times are still a big issue, though. Can they get them down to 30m-1hr even with a 220 connector?

Yep, we have a 12" and the 16" 24v.  She started at 4.5 years old on the 12" last summer.  This year she is on the 16" and her little sis is (hopefully) going to get some use out of the 12" this year.

They gave us two sets of batteries with each bike.  Around our property, a single charge has out lasted her attention span.  But the second battery is good for when friends are riding it as well.  If you want to take it camping for 3-4 days, then you either need to take a lot of batteries or use a generator.

IMHO I think electric dirt bikes will (initially) find their niche as play bikes for back yards and small acreages where noise is a concern and battery life isn't a big issue.

d.JPG

b.JPG

Edited by Colorado^
  • Like 1

An electric street bike would be sweet.  The zero has a range somewhere near 170 miles.  That's not bad at all.  Would be perfect for going around town or short trips.

• Like 1

An electric street bike would be sweet.  The zero has a range somewhere near 170 miles.  That's not bad at all.  Would be perfect for going around town or short trips.

I like the Zero FX as a Dirt-focused DS. The problems with it are weight (280lbs) and charge times (3hrs for the quick charger on the higher power, long range version). It's also 12 grand

I am a little surprised Yamaha beat Honda to the 'green punch'. But only a little.

I ride some nearly every day. A lot of my rides are less than an hour. Some barely long enough to fully heat up the bike (a blast through the woods enroute to the mail box, 'the long way'). An electric bike would be much more sensible for these little rides.

I remember when NiCads first were available back in the late 60's. We all marveled at the capacity and chargeability. Then better magnets and motors came along and Makita gave us the first useful cordless drills in the early 80's. Now we have super magnets, and Li-Iron batteries that weigh ounces. The big push is on for faster charge times, greater capacity and higher efficiency. What we think is impossible today will be common place tomorrow. My first 'portable' cell phone weighed thirty pounds.

My first 'portable' cell phone weighed thirty pounds.

The other side of that is 10 yrs ago, phones could go a week without charging, but the best phones of today are lucky to make it 24 hrs with average use. Battery technology has been outrun by every other part of electronics. They really need to find a better way. Graphene looks promising, but so far it has all been vaporware.

• Like 1

The other side of that is 10 yrs ago, phones could go a week without charging, but the best phones of today are lucky to make it 24 hrs with average use. Battery technology has been outrun by every other part of electronics. They really need to find a better way. Graphene looks promising, but so far it has all been vaporware.

Sort of true. My Radio Shack portable of 1984 could go about three hours of standby and about 30 minutes of talk time. My current 'flip phone' is rarely ever turned on but the battery only has to be charged once a year. When I had an operation last January, the phone was on three days straight, had about 40 minutes of talk time used and still shows as fully charged.

Smartphones, if on are doing a lot of computing and communicating all the time. f they were really just 'a phone' I imagine the battery would last a few weeks. I bet life would go way up if all the apps, GPS and other stuff was removed or turned off.

Instead of braap and wing dinga ding the kids will say "And he was like wrrrr and hit the triple".

Edited by Foleyracing
  • Like 8

I hope they can make a viable and competitive mx model, and other manuf jump on board. This would be fantastic for tracks, and noise issues they have to deal with. We lost a track in my area due to this very issue. I would be all over it. Nothing will ever compare to an engine burning dinosaur bones revving under your ass, but if it helps the sport, I'm all for it.

• Like 4

I just want to roll past mountain bikers and giggle, what not eco enough LOL

• Like 1

I have a GREAT IDEA!!!!! They should make less 4t's and  NO electric bikes and only make 2 strokes!! Genius!!!!!     :thumbsup:  I like to hear what i ride.

~BRAAAP BRAAAAP

• Like 3

:thumbsup:  I like to hear what i ride.

~BRAAAP BRAAAAP

Yes but no one else does.  That's the whole point.

Yes but no one else does.  That's the whole point.

hey, loud pipes save lives, even in the woods. Eveyone I know loves to hear bikes. I could listen to 2t music all day errryyyy dayy! 

I picture in the future the electric bikes will have a speaker system and you can pick the sound you want it to make. 

Hmm I think today I will go CR500.  Then the next day you could make it sound like a F1 car.

• Like 2

Tesla might be able to get those double "A" lithiums to work in a bike !!!! Maybe a Moonshine fueled bike would be better !!! That way when the bike breaks you can have fun waiting for the wrecker to pick you up !!!!!!