Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 50 Wont move

Hey Guys, My buddy gave me a ktm 50sx and the rear wheel is locked up, i figured the top end locked up as my buddy didnt really do any maintinance on it and his kids rode the crap outta it.

On these 50s if the piston locks up will it prevent the rear wheel from moving, or could it be a transmission thing.

the kick starter wont go down so thats why im figuring they seized it up? Im thinking of picking up a top end kit, cylinder, piston rings, etc... anyone have this problem before and figure out how to fix it. I really dont want to dump alot into this bike but ive found some top end kits for cheap but dont want to drop alot of coin.

that bike has a centrifical oil bath clutch, I would confirm the problem before ordering any parts. if you had a piston seizure, the rear wheel should still rotate in, my opinion. If it were my bike I would remove the clutch side cover and have a look to see if anything is off. Possibly the clutch come apart and is jammed against the side cover or you've got a problem with the kicker or idler gear. I say this because if the piston seized, the rear wheel should still rotate.  

• Like 1

thinking back isn't it pro jr and pro senior- the junior is a centrifical unit and the pro senior has a constant mesh tranny just like the big bikes?

thinking back isn't it pro jr and pro senior- the junior is a centrifical unit and the pro senior has a constant mesh tranny just like the big bikes?

Both 50's use the centrifugal clutch.

• Like 1

It sounds like the clutch probably blew itself apart. The KTM 50's have always had reliability issues when it comes to their clutch. If the oil isn't changed every ride, the clutch shoes wear prematurely and often shatter. The damage is always bad. Take off the clutch cover and verify whether or not the bike is toast. 

I tore it down last nite, looks like the one master link pc's on the clutch came apart and the crank locked up. I can rotate the crank with channel locks but its hard to turn over. I have the cyclinder of and it and the piston are fine.