Sign in to follow this  

From WR450 to?

Been riding an 07 WR450 since it was new. Done a lot of mods including custom suspension, pipe, intake, all the basic stuff. Last weekend I had a branch smash my head pipe on the first day of the weekend and ended up riding a couple loaner bikes the rest of the weekend. After riding a yz250f for a day, I fell in love with the weight of this bike, but not the power. So easy to ride and not near the fatigue that I usually get from riding all day. So now I have that new bike fever, and I'm not sure what to get. I do mostly woods riding, I've always favored Yamaha but not sure if a smoker is the way to go, or if I should join the dark side and look at ktm. I have heard of guys that take 250fs and put big bore kits in them. But would this make them unreliable. Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm not made of money and plan on investing about a $4000-$5000 on a bike. Can't seem to get the wife to under stand why I need another bike, so need to play the old forgiveness comes easier than permission card. 

A 300 or 250 two stroke would seem to be the right choice. Plenty power and much lighter than the 450. I went from a Beta 400RR to a Husaberg TE300 and I am much less tried after our usual 80km loop. Also makes the rocky technical trails much easier. There are a couple of brands to choose from that make two smokes you can look at, not just KTM. Beta, GasGas, Husaberg, Husqvarna (new and old) as well as TM Racing. All are great bikes

KTM 250/300 XC or XCW.  The other possible is the 350 XCF/W, which may give you the agility you seek without changing power delivery much from your WR.

If you're replacing the WR, the 300 or 350F would offer the most versatility. If you're keeping it, a 200 XCW or 250XC/XCW would make a great second bike for tight woods.

Turning an MX bike into a trail bike is certainly possible, but quite a bit harder than just buying the right off roader, which you can easily manage with $5k.