Sign in to follow this  

2013 KX450F, Being a beginner, Re-Valve Questions

Hi Guys,

I recently posted in the pictures and video section a discussion about a recent crash.  It included video of my riding, some people saying I'm a D or even C class rider.  I'm pretty new to this, so I agree with them.  I've got my race sag dialed in at 106mm and my free sag at 36.7mm (got super nerdy with a micrometer, wife was pissed to have to help when my OCD started setting in).  I think I have the clickers where I want them for the track I ride (you can see a video of my riding in the other thread linked below) three clicks in from default on fork compression, two clicks in on both fork and shock rebound.  I'm 200lbs out of the shower in the morning before breakfast.

I have a few things I'd like to pick other people's brains:

First, I've been thinking about taking my bike in to my local shop and having them perform a re-valve for my skill level.  My question is, in general what does a suspension tuner do to the compression and rebound curve to make it better for someone at my level?  I've read Race Tech's Suspension Bible, I'm absolute nerd when it comes to downhill mountain bike suspension, and have a good handle on the physics involved in dampening.  I'm hoping for a technical discussion here that might include graphs.  Just telling me they make it softer isn't a huge help.  Second part of this discussion is: Can I expect to ride better and progress faster at the MX track with a re-valve for my skill level?

Secondly, I live near two really great woods trail systems, and have two options:

1. I'm wrestling with spending $800 on setting up my suspension on this KX450F for my skill level at the MX track; potentially having a bike that works for both woods and MX.  I'm worried that I will end up with a bike that sucks at both).
  2. Or, just getting a second bike in the $3,500 range that's meant for woods riding, like a crf250x, leaving my KX450F stock.

I'm just after having a lot of fun here, I am attracted to both the MX and EnduroX types of riding.  I just don't want to sink money into the KX450F because I know I'll never get it back out of that bike.

You can find that thread here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1080479-crash-analysis-help/

Edited by 4rest

Most of the time tuners do not adjust damping curves , they adjust shim stacks to known good settings and tweak them for each individual , a woods bike needs way less damping than mx so often you do get a bike that sucks at both , but it depends on your expectations

• Like 1

Thanks mog. I have been reading though tons of posts in this section of the forum and while I have not found specifically an answer to my question, I think I have a good feel for why beginners need it soft, and faster riders need it firm.

I don't think I am going to worry much about the suspension on my kx450f, and just plan on getting a good trail dirt bike.

Most of the time tuners do not adjust damping curves , they adjust shim stacks to known good settings and tweak them for each individual , a woods bike needs way less damping than mx so often you do get a bike that sucks at both , but it depends on your expectations

What!!  Tuners don't adjust damping curves?  That's like saying McDonalds doesn't sell burgers.  That's what suspension tuning does, it alters the damping curve.  You do that by swapping shims.  As you said, most tuners don't really know how they are adjusting the actual curve itself, they just change the shims knowing it makes something stiffer (adding shims) or makes something softer (remove shims).  But in the end, all shim changes effect the damping curve.

This might be a good time to look at damping curves, so I have started another post about shim changes and damping curves based on dyno test results.  I wanted to start it fresh so it would have a different title.

Edited by kevinstillwell
  • Like 1

Lol me and Kevin are talking in circles , I meant tuners don't adjust stacks to a damping curve as most (Kevin does) as he has a dyno , tuners without dynos adjust shim stacks in the hope the damping will be right but without knowing it will

Watching the bike and adjusting the damping by what u see