Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) 150

Picked up a 2004 CRF150F last night (for free, might I add). The rear spring adjustment is seized, the rear brakes are gone-ski (parts coming in soon), and the front brake lever has been cut. The bike runs VERY well, the front tire is new, and the rear is at about 60%. The muffler mounts are also effed/missing bolts, but that's an easy fix.

What I'd like to know is what would be a good way to un-seize the adjusters so I can change the sag? Also, what would be a good aftermarket pipe to look into getting? (Noise isn't a concern). 

Quick video:

Keep the stock system - You won't do much better.  A full BBR system netted 0.6 RWHP so you can expect that or less with the CRF150.  You can send the shock to John Hlebo and for less than $250 he will rebuild and revalve it just for your needs.

Put some penetrating oil on the shock locking collars and then hit the top collar with a drift pin or long bolt.  DO NOT use a screwdriver!  You will ruin both the screwdriver and the collar.  Do this with the bike off the ground.  Once the locking collar is loose you can adjust the preload by turning the shock spring.  It will turn the lower collar as the spring turns.  You are looking for 30% to 33% for race sag or 2.75" to 3".

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Keep the stock system - You won't do much better. A full BBR system netted 0.6 RWHP so you can expect that or less with the CRF150. You can send the shock to John Hlebo and for less than $250 he will rebuild and revalve it just for your needs.

Put some penetrating oil on the shock locking collars and then hit the top collar with a drift pin or long bolt. DO NOT use a screwdriver! You will ruin both the screwdriver and the collar. Do this with the bike off the ground. Once the locking collar is loose you can adjust the preload by turning the shock spring. It will turn the lower collar as the spring turns. You are looking for 30% to 33% for race sag or 2.75" to 3".

Use some "PB Blaster" penetrating spray (Wall Mart)

Keep the stock system - You won't do much better.  A full BBR system netted 0.6 RWHP so you can expect that or less with the CRF150.  You can send the shock to John Hlebo and for less than $250 he will rebuild and revalve it just for your needs.

Put some penetrating oil on the shock locking collars and then hit the top collar with a drift pin or long bolt.  DO NOT use a screwdriver!  You will ruin both the screwdriver and the collar.  Do this with the bike off the ground.  Once the locking collar is loose you can adjust the preload by turning the shock spring.  It will turn the lower collar as the spring turns.  You are looking for 30% to 33% for race sag or 2.75" to 3".

Stock it is! That is, unless aftermarket is cheaper. I know how to set the sag ;) I just didn't want to eff up the collars.

Use some "PB Blaster" penetrating spray (Wall Mart)

Did that earlier. Gonna let it sit over night and have at it tomorrow.