Sign in to follow this  

Moving up to a 450?

Hey everyone, just looking for information on moving up to a 450, I just sold my CR125, I know its a big step up but I've rode a few 450s and I feel like I could ease into it. Just curious if theres any certain 450s to avoid or go for? I'm most likely looking in the 2002-2010 range. This will also be my first four stroke ever so I'm also wondering what I should do for regular maintenance? I don't mind spending a bit extra if it means my bike having more life. How much more can I look to spend on maintenance on a four stroke? I know it'll be more, just not sure how much more. 

Also wondering what the deal is with the YZF426, I see tons of them for fairly cheap on Kijiji, Are they a decent bike or are they cheap for a reason?

What should I be looking for when I go for a test ride?

I do all kinds of riding if that makes a difference (Sand trails, sand dunes eventually, a fair bit of track riding, trails, hills and just around the country).

Thanks for reading, all replies are appreciated!

How much do you weigh? How old are you? What type of riding will you be doing? What's your budget?

Edited by Andrew13

I'm 21, weigh about 180. 6'1". I do a bit of everything really, track, trail, gravel pits, sand or whatever I can. Trying to stay under $3000.

Also found an RMZ450 that needs fork seals, what would it cost me to do that? Should I get the bike if I can for the right price?

I would avoid a 426. They were a good bike in their day but a 12-14 year 4 stroke can get problematic. What is your budget?

Also found an RMZ450 that needs fork seals, what would it cost me to do that? Should I get the bike if I can for the right price?

For the right price it could be a steal. If you do it yourself, fork seals are pocket change.

Thanks for the reply, I've never had to do fork seals so wasn't sure if it would be too bad or not. I'm trying to stay around the $3000 mark budget wise.