Sign in to follow this  

Something not right on Front End of 230

Gents,

Still going over my recently purchased used 230F.  One thing that I've found is the handle bars and front tire is off.  In other words, when holding the handlebars dead straight, the front tire is point to the right about 2 or 3 degrees.  I'm guessing, but easily noticeable by friends and even my wife.  (No offence to lady riders.... my wife is not.  ;-)

I've looked up and down the front end and can't find any bends in anything.  I haven't taken the bars off yet, because that's a lot of work to remove everything.  The previous owner said he recently did the fork seals.  Could he have assembled something incorrectly?  Triple-trees look good as well.  Front tire spins free and looks dead centre in relation to each fork.  Bit of a head scratcher.

Any ideas? 

Dan

Fork tubes twisted in clamps. Loosen top and bottom clamps loosen axle twist back straight bounce up and down then retorque bolts to specs.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.

This happened because the bike was dropped/crashed and the jolt on the handlebars misaligned the forks. Just shunt the front wheel sideways against a tree/pole or even your mates back wheel to restraighten and off you go. No stress and no need to unbolt your front end.

I dumped my bike and it did the samething. I stuck the front end in a bike rack and tweaked it back.

It's perfect.

Forgot to report back on this.

Loosened the bolts on the triple trees and got a buddy to hold down the front end.  Twisted the bars to line everything up and tightened bolts.  Done and done.

I'm a stickler for detail, so I also loosened the fender and straightened that also.  Dead straight now.  ;-)