Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of buying this xr650l, what ya think?

Is it really worth the money? I will never use the suspension to its full potential but it has some nice work done to it. Just looking for something to putt around town on and the occational fire road. Kinda leaning to a crf250l or a klx250s as I am getting older and those two have lower seat heights and weight about 50 pounds less. I have had an xr650l in the past and it was an awsome moto.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/sno/4400583590.html

Ready......Go

Boy, that's a tough one. I'm sure the seller has more than what he's asking in it. The question is, is it worth it to you? Before you buy it, go test drive a Suzuki DR650, that kind of money would buy a very nice one of those.

I had a modded DR650 many years ago and was a great bike. Had a modded xr650l many years ago and was a great bike. This xr650l is a great bike and a bit custom plus he shot me a lower price than the add but just not sure. The only reason I am shying away from the 250 is the fear of the lack of power for a guy with a weight of 240 pounds. There are no used 250 in my area to test ride so I can't get a test ride and the local dealer won't let me test ride a new one.

I was kinda in the same boat. I actually had my heart set on a 250 something since I only planned to do woods/trail riding. Test drove a KLX250 and it did ok but I wasn't excited. Found a XR650L 2 hours away, decided to test drive it just in case but knew it was going to be way to big for what I wanted to do. I bought it that night and rode it home 2 hours in the freezing cold and it was well worth it! There are times the 650 feels a bit big in the woods but it is so much more fun (and safer) to get to the trails on it. Does awesome on gravel forest roads too. I would also like to get a TW200 or something for hardcore woods riding but honestly, I'm happy with powerline trails and semi-hardcore stuff on the 650 that I don't think I need one unless it's an offer I can't pass up.

Yeah that is a tough one. $6k is a lot for a used xrl650. But then again if i was looking to buy a new xrl650 off the show room floor or buy that one, i would probally get the 09 in the ad. Its in great shape and has a lot done to it. But then again, 6k would get you a nice low milege street legal ktm exc..like i say its a tough decision. just dont waste your money on a klx250 or the like.  I know a few who bought 250 dual purpose bikes and regreted it rather quickly.

After riding for some time on a 650cc I tried to ride a mates 250cc dual sport while he testrode mine on the open stuff.. He didn't want to give the 650 back and I couldn't catch him on a 250. It was like riding a scooter, put in any gear and go full throttle on it - it doesn't accelerate, just changes a sound a bit

On the tight stuff a 250cc is better if geared realy low, but it was possible to do on a 650 with some more fear and without gearing it too low, I could still ride pavement comfortably after that.

EXC is a different story, it shines in both open and tight compared to ds, just doesn't like pavement too much

Edited by MCVL

A KTM is out of the question as I know more people who wrench on those than actually ride them. KTM stands for KEEPS TAKING MONEY :ride:  The guys selling the XR650 gave me a lower price thru private email but I am still not sure.

Is that a puddle of oil under the motor? If yes, where did it come from?

I found it interesting that just this morning there were six different XR650L's listed on the sfbay version of Craigslist for under $3000.

When I bought mine, I wanted the total investment to be under $4000 and was willing to fix whatever needed fixing.  I stayed way under that amount.  If all those ones I noticed this morning weren't so far away, I would be tempted to buy another one.

It's nice to find one with all of the right stuff done to it, but I happen to like "good enough" for considerably less.

• Like 1

I am not making the 7 hour drive to the SF area to buy a motorcycle. Different areas will demand different prices for the same motorcycle.

A KTM is out of the question as I know more people who wrench on those than actually ride them. KTM stands for KEEPS TAKING MONEY :ride:  

I thought it was Keep Towin Me or Kick Till Monday, no?  :excuseme: 

• Like 1

The suspension is good but you can do it in about 500-600$ actually if you try, although it might take some time

It has stock carb, with almost free mod, a cutted out airbox, also free and a stock gas tank, that you might want to replace to be less concerned about fuel. So I'm not sure I would consider it for more than 5000  :)

Actually I would buy a 1996 or something bike for less than 2000 to modify or repair it by myself and be sure in it for a long time, so just ignore me :)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4369411983.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4427721902.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4435645490.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4415782551.html

Edited by MCVL

The suspension is good but you can do it in about 500-600$ actually if you try, although it might take some time

It has stock carb, with almost free mod, a cutted out airbox, also free and a stock gas tank, that you might want to replace to be less concerned about fuel. So I'm not sure I would consider it for more than 5000 :)

Actually I would buy a 1996 or something bike for less than 2000 to modify or repair it by myself and be sure in it for a long time, so just ignore me :)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4369411983.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4427721902.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4435645490.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4415782551.html

The seller did tell me for $5k I could buy that moto but even at that I am having a hard time when great condition 09 sell for $4k all day long. Thanks for the links and have inquired about the 2008 that needs work. The one with the seize motor I did not get a good vibe from the guy and with the cost of an engine rebuild its not cost effective to buy that moto. Edited by bmechanic

I guess these XR's really hold their resale value. I was looking in NADA for values and seen where a 2009 XR is valued is great condition at around $5400. If you can find a cheap used one guess its worth it to buy it if your in the market. I have found multiple XR's I have been interested in but none of them have up to date current titles even after the people selling them say they are, must be a Craigslist thing?

He is asking too much for that bike. I'd go with an initial offer of $42-4500, depending on how it looks and runs. If he's smart, he'll know how to negotiate a' la American Pickers. Maybe settle in the low 5's.

I bought my 2001 with 11,XXX miles for $2750. Pretty stock. Thats up in NorCal though, I know things are more expensive down there.

They are more expensive in So Cal than in No Cal. The problem I am running into is not a shortage of bikes to choose from its the fact people don't keep up on the registration and have all sorts of excuses on why they let them expire. Even the guy selling this 09 XR immediately drop his price to $5000 and when I asked if the title was up to date I got the story again and he blamed it on everyone else why it's not when it's not in his name but still the lien holder. How in the eff can you legally sell something that's not in your name and they expect me to give them cash and just trust they will process the paperwork?

Edited by bmechanic

They are more expensive in So Cal than in No Cal. The problem I am running into is not a shortage of bikes to choose from its the fact people don't keep up on the registration and have all sorts of excuses on why they let them expire. Even the guy selling this 09 XR immediately drop his price to $5000 and when I asked if the title was up to date I got the story again and he blamed it on everyone else why it's not when it's not in his name but still the lien holder. How in the eff can you legally sell something that's not in your name and they expect me to give them cash and just trust they will process the paperwork?

Yup with all the CA DMV bull crap if the title isn't up to date, I wouldn't buy it without $1000 bucks off the asking price (assuming the price is reasonable) you could easily eat up 1k at the DMV in fees alone. Edited by YamahaDoc

Ok found a 1994 xr650l that looks show room clean with 5330 miles and he wants $3500 obo. NADA says in perfect condition this is worth $1900 but in So Cal it does demand a higher price. I could spend $5000 for a 2009 or save some cash and buy this one.

image.jpg

Edited by bmechanic