Sign in to follow this  

Speedo unit (300RR)

Am I correct in assuming that the speedo unit can be unplugged & removed without affecting the rest of the bike's electrics? 

While on the subject, I see it has a feature that shows the highest speed reached ... just wondering what's the most anyone has got up to? The events around here later in the season can be pretty quick indeed, so it'd be useful to know what stock-ish gearing will let it reach. 

Stock gearing for the 2014 is not the same. Stock on mine was 15/48 and gear commander loads in 15/45 for the 2012 RS. :excuseme:

Thanks for that, very interesting, it would be useful to know what revs the bike will pull in top in order to make the most of it- does anyone know that?

Stock gearing for the 2014 is not the same. Stock on mine was 15/48 and gear commander loads in 15/45 for the 2012 RS. :excuseme:

No big deal. I do know the gear ratios are the same. I run 14/48 for everyday riding and 13/48 for tight trails. I use the 15/45 for street only.

Thanks for that, very interesting, it would be useful to know what revs the bike will pull in top in order to make the most of it- does anyone know that?

Not sure about the revs. My bike has only bumped the rev limiter once or twice since I bought it. I do know it will do just over 100mph at the crack of the throttle.

I'll probably run 15/41 or 43 with the street tires, 13/48 for duel sporting/ice and 13/51 for the tight stuff. I try to keep away from even or divisible numbers. It saves on chain wear if you bend or damage a tooth since it's not hitting the same chain link as often. I just try to maximize longevity were possible, same reason I picked up the cush hub for the street. There's not many manufactures offering sprockets for the 2014 models yet. Apparently something was changed from the older models. The few I called said there would be in a few months so it's a waiting game.

A bit more info around the top speed topic, I rode an event that had a reasonable straight, where I was just getting into top by the end of it as the 300  seemed to be running out of revs in 5th (13/50 gearing), and the speedo max shows as 116kph. Going by the gearing commander site above, that suggests I was changing up somewhere around 8500 rpm, which equates to about 135kph (84mph) in top. A 14/50 combination should be plenty enough for the fastest events (90mph ish), while 14/47 woudl take it to around 100! 

Rotax, re sprockets for the 14, I'm using  a CRF450 rear. Although the centre is slightly too large diameter and it isn't a tight fit on the hub, I've not had any issues with it or the bolts coming loose or anything. 

For front sprockets, is it correct that the splines are the same as KTMs?

I did run the specs on the CRF sprocket when you posted it. The ID is a little bigger and will work. You shouldn't have trouble with the bolts since they are 10.9 which are the same tensile strength as grade 8 SAE. From looking up different year Beta part numbers it appears they all use the same CS whether 2s or 4s. That being the case here is a list you can pick from  http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF1901SC  I'm holding out on Rad Manufacturing as it looks like they are going to make a new sprocket drum for the cush hub so I can use my stock sprocket. Both the bolt holes and ID of the sprocket are different on the 14's and might have caught them off guard. It should be here sometime early this week and can comment on it then.

I want to thank Rad Manufacturing for great customer service. I recieved my original cush hub with the older Beta style sprocket drum bolt pattern. One call, a few emails with pics and dimensions and they sent me a new drum that fits perfect. Even got to keep the other drum so I can run the new sprocket style as well as the old ones. All was done in less then a week. :applause: