Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Buying A Used Bike

Hello,

Ok, I figured out what size bike I want and got dirt bike lessons coming next week.

How do I buy a used bike (preferably 250cc)? Budget about $2200.00

Concerns:

1. I never road bike before.

2. I know nothing about mechanical things on a bike besides the obvious (leaks, cracks, etc.)

3. I don't wanna be ripped off of course with a money pit

Solutions:

1. There is dirt mechanic about 4 miles from me I can hire to come with me to look at the bike. I would have to ask him first.

2. I can read online and get advice here before going out to see the bike myself after I learn how to ride.

3. Buy a bike almost new, which will extend me budget.

Any comments, suggestions, advice, tips, or questions.

The most important thing is if you are buying from cragslist, MAKE SURE IT HAS A VIN #!!!!!!!!!!!!! and make sure its the right year also.

• Like 1

If you're not partial to 4-strokes you might consider a kdx200 they can be found cheap and they're very reliable and would be good for you to start on

Yes a kdx200 is a great bike to learn on but it depends on what kind of riding you want to do. I'm assuming that when you say you want a 250 you are talking about a four stroke. You should be able to get a pretty good one in the $2200 to $2500 range. My advice would be to buy the newest, cleanest, bone stock bike you can find. You should be able to find a Yamaha(in my opinion the most reliable but not trying to start a big internet fight) yz250f 08 or newer in that price range. Al least you can here in AZ anyway

• Like 1

Yes a kdx200 is a great bike to learn on but it depends on what kind of riding you want to do. I'm assuming that when you say you want a 250 you are talking about a four stroke. You should be able to get a pretty good one in the $2200 to $2500 range. My advice would be to buy the newest, cleanest, bone stock bike you can find. You should be able to find a Yamaha(in my opinion the most reliable but not trying to start a big internet fight) yz250f 08 or newer in that price range. Al least you can here in AZ anyway

Thanks

What do you mean by "  My advice would be to buy the newest, cleanest, bone stock bike you can find."? What is bone stock?