Sign in to follow this  

05 International 7400 wont shut off

I have a funky problem here and im new to these trucks, i just got a job working as a mechanic for the town i live in and they don't give us many resources.

truck starts and runs fine, but as soon as you turn the ignition off it blows the 5 amp "engine ignition" fuse and the engine will not shut off.

with the ignition off, if you replace the new fuse it blows instantly, it wont blow if the ignition is on.

a couple of really funky things im finding digging in to this thing:

the ECM/EGR power relay stays powered up at all times (ignition on or off) im always getting the ground signal from the ECM to power up the relay. i don't even know if that's normal or not but im thinking not.

now the head scratcher , on the fuse block/ relay board, im finding that many of the fuses are showing that they are grounded, until i pull the ECM/EGR power relay and then the ground signal goes away.

i replaced the relay and the relay board isn't corroded and i traced the harness as far as i could to look for a short but im thinking that may not be my problem.

im stumped

its a dt466, any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! or im driving it down to the dealer, lol 

Man if you had a mechanical DT466 I knew exactly what your problem is, but I'm no help here. This sounds like one of those problems its best to have International sort out.

I know nothing about that truck, but I had an issue with my car running after the ignition was turned off and it was an alternator issue. One of the diodes were shorted out and allowing power to back feed when the ignition was turned off.

Seems like a short to power going from the ignition switch to the ECM. Check for power at the ECM pin with ignition switch on and off and compare.