Sign in to follow this  

Smog pump

Hello everyone. Im new to the site, And new to dual sport. Its a great site by the way.Just got my new XR650L and I love it. I live 2 exits from work, and have over 200 acres of family land to cut up on the weekend about 50 miles away. I figure it would be the perfect bike for this. I've seen a lot of the Dave's mod's stuff and would agree the bike seems lean right now. I get a backfire when shifting if im excelerating hard. Also from about 1/8 throttle to 1/4 throttle there is a noticeable lack of pull, if that makes any sence. Feels like the engine is just waiting for more fuel. I am hesitant to start moding stuff because of warranty etc. My question is about the smog pump. I assume this thing is just routing blow by from the ports on the engine to the carb after the air filter with some kind of metering device between them? Soooo. If I "desmog" it by blocking the ports on the engine, where does the blow by leave the engine from?  Thinking just removing this turd alone would help fatten things up by removing the extra air piped into the carb. Will removing this thing void my warranty? Im a heavy diesel mechanic so carbs are not my thing. In fact the last carbs (brand new) I had dealings with were dual 40's on a bug motor, that still don't run right lol. The smog pump looks easy enough to delete though. Also wanted to ask about gearing. Think the stock gearing will be ok for 70mph riding for 45-60 minute stretch? thanks in advance for any input.

Hello everyone. Im new to the site, And new to dual sport. Its a great site by the way.Just got my new XR650L and I love it. I live 2 exits from work, and have over 200 acres of family land to cut up on the weekend about 50 miles away. I figure it would be the perfect bike for this. I've seen a lot of the Dave's mod's stuff and would agree the bike seems lean right now. I get a backfire when shifting if im excelerating hard. Also from about 1/8 throttle to 1/4 throttle there is a noticeable lack of pull, if that makes any sence. Feels like the engine is just waiting for more fuel. I am hesitant to start moding stuff because of warranty etc. My question is about the smog pump. I assume this thing is just routing blow by from the ports on the engine to the carb after the air filter with some kind of metering device between them? Soooo. If I "desmog" it by blocking the ports on the engine, where does the blow by leave the engine from?  Thinking just removing this turd alone would help fatten things up by removing the extra air piped into the carb. Will removing this thing void my warranty? Im a heavy diesel mechanic so carbs are not my thing. In fact the last carbs (brand new) I had dealings with were dual 40's on a bug motor, that still don't run right lol. The smog pump looks easy enough to delete though. Also wanted to ask about gearing. Think the stock gearing will be ok for 70mph riding for 45-60 minute stretch? thanks in advance for any input.

Not particularly familiar with your bike, but typically the smog pump just injects air into the exhaust. Affects emissions, not performance.

Mike