Sign in to follow this  

Small overlooked maintenance...?

Hey guys I was just wondering what were some of the routine maintenance things you guys do to your bikes?

And some things that many people don't think about doing but probably should....?

Like greasing or cleaning certain parts of the bike

Thanks

Get your self a manual for your year bike & it will be money well spent...

Axle adjuster bolts need to be removed, cleaned and greased a couple times a year so they don't seize in the swing arm. That is the hardest thing to repair after they are seized.

Other than that get a factory owners manual for routine maintenance and service intervals.

Goggle your year and model and see what people are doing for mods or particular issues. 

piston, rings, and clutch (  maybe reeds ) once a year of hard riding before they are gone.

Suspension rebuild minimum once per year if seals last that long.

Those intervals would be too long for pros but racing A class on a local level kept me in the hunt.

Lower shock bearing gets greased very often.

Repack silencer very often.

I'm good about air filters, oil changes, fork seals & fluid, shock fluid, chain, sprocket, clutches, linkage bearings, carb cleaning, wheel bearings, engine rebuilds/internals, etc;

I'm really bad-as in I have never done it-cleaned or greased swing arm bearings, or those bearings in the head-tube... Sorry. It's not like I couldn't do it.. I have just never found the motivation to do so. That is my plan as soon as I get my bike up & running again is to attack the swing arm bearings & the steering stem bearings.

I'm good about air filters, oil changes, fork seals & fluid, shock fluid, chain, sprocket, clutches, linkage bearings, carb cleaning, wheel bearings, engine rebuilds/internals, etc;

I'm really bad-as in I have never done it-cleaned or greased swing arm bearings, or those bearings in the head-tube... Sorry. It's not like I couldn't do it.. I have just never found the motivation to do so. That is my plan as soon as I get my bike up & running again is to attack the swing arm bearings & the steering stem bearings.

Swingarm is something you need to get motivated about.  It isn't bad and should be something done when you grease the rest of the bike.  I usually pick a crappy day in the winter, take the bike down to the frame, and do a really good cleaning, greasing, replacing, and repairing day.  Your bike will last forever if you keep it up.  Trust me though, there are times when I just want to say screw.  Especially since we have five riders in the family, my street bike, and I take care of my brothers bike for him.