Sign in to follow this  

Problems with my 88 cr500

Hey I just bought me a 88 cr500, it was rebuilt top to bottom and it has great compression, it well start up first kick or two but when it warms up it is hell trying to start, it does bust out a little getting on it, it just doesn't seem to have all the power everyone says it has, I cant feel the power band kick in, it well raise up in first and second and a little in third, but I checked the reeds and they are good, carb is clean, it does have stock jets, new spark plug set to the gap, it has a full pro circuit exhaust, so well jetting it and tuning the carb bring this beast to life if u can please help me

What jets are you running and what elevation? Make sure your jets are completely clear. You should be able to see a perfect circle of light through all jets. 

Check that your throttle is actually opening fully. A misadjustment in the cables can make it so the slides aren't completely out of the bore. Even a tiny bit of slide can make a huge difference in full-throttle power.

Your jets should be somewhat similar to these.

• Main Jet
  • Pilot Jet
  • Needle
  • STOCK
  • Needle Position
  • 3RD

• Air Screw
  • 2 full turns out
Edited by 75mx125

They are stock jets, and the elevation is 970 ft (300 m), but I did find out my reeds are bad and new ones on the way

Well I got my new reeds in and jet kit installed the reeds and tuned the carbs it is still doing the same thing it start when cold but it still seems slow and doest pull like it should it has a 178 for main jet a 58 for pilot jet and the fuel air mixture is two turns out and it well not stay running no matter what I do if anyone knows please help this is about aggravating

Try testing the compression. The huge piston in the 500 is going to make it seem like it has more compression than it does. Just because the old owner said he rebuilt it doesn't mean he did. The bike is showing more than a few symptoms of low compression. 

Compression test should read 150+ PSI. If it is any lower, open up the top end.

OK well try this might sound stupid but were the header goes into the jug it only has one spring holding it on so could It be losing compression through the gap in the header and jug