Sign in to follow this  

How much will it cost to fix a stripped shift lever and shaft on my yz125

Hello, I recently just purchase a 2001 yz125 and when I started to ride it i got one ride out of it until i shut it off and noticed that it wouldn't go into neutral and the shift lever and shift shaft is stripped and just slides over each other instead of gripping. Please tell me how much this will cost to fix!

You should just be able to tighten it up. Maybe bend some sort of shim around the shaft for now or something similar?

Hello, I recently just purchase a 2001 yz125 and when I started to ride it i got one ride out of it until i shut it off and noticed that it wouldn't go into neutral and the shift lever and shift shaft is stripped and just slides over each other instead of gripping. Please tell me how much this will cost to fix!

Just sent you a PM, but now that I found the thread, no worries.  Here's what you should really do, take a picture of the shift lever where it's stripped and post it here so we can see how bad it is.  The only right way to fix stripped shift levers are to basically replace the shift shaft.  Look at this link and look at the picture and see the item #1.  That is your shift shaft.  And believe it or not, it's really not that hard to replace.  You'll have to remove your clutch cover, then clutch and a few gears, then slide out the shift shaft and install the new one.  Also, if your shift shaft is stripped, then it's likely the lever that attaches to it is also stripped and is why I said post pictures.  You can catch more responses when you post pictures believe me.  Once we see what it looks like, we'll give you some tips on how to repair it, or even jerry rig it if money is an issue.  Let us know ok, we're here to help each other out and it's not like your motor blew up or anything.  Stripped  shifts levers are common.  Happens when they get loose and go un-noticed and then eventually gets damaged.  Of course a fall too can damage them, but if it's bolted down correctly, most of the time, the lever just gets bent and you don't suffer damage to your shaft.  Believe me little brother, if you know someone that can weld it (provided the lever is steel and not aluminum), it can be spot welded to hold.  Most cheap old timers like me back in the day when money was scares,  jerry rigging a shift lever was nothing compared to the other stuff we would do to keep our rigs running.  A perfect example would be the kick lever getting broken, hell I welded mine back and it works just as well.  Back then, spending $100 for a kick was ridiculous.  Now I just don't have the heart to replace it because it's become part of the bike and grown on me.  I'll post a picture of this ugly duckling of a kick if someone is interested.  Right now, I'm just to laze to go to the garage and take any pics. :devil:  PS: Get back to us with pictures ok?  

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500446faf8700209bc78fc45/shift-shaft

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 1

Like everyone else said don't freak out on it. I don't ride that often during the spring summer and fall maybe 2 times a week if lucky and I go through a shift lever a season. Aluminum levers will shred much faster, but its a tad lighter. Steel levers will last longer and is usually cheaper. I am hard on my lever so I always use steel ones. Post pics so we can all see what's up.

• Like 1

Yep, this problem this kid is having is easy peasy, now if only he can follow up with a picture, we can proceed to help him.  I'm not even sure he's realized we've been updating this thread.  He needs to post a picture of what he has so we can give him some advise. By the way, finally got the gumption to go take a picture of that Kick I was talking about.  Back then when I did a little weld / pre fab on this, I was flat broke and refused to pay $100 for a kick.  Now that I have the money to go buy three of them, I just can't bring myself to taking this off and replacing it.  It may look like crap, but it did the fix and hasn't failed me yet.  It's a real looker.  :devil::lol:

IMAG0582.jpg

• Like 1