Sign in to follow this  

plain gasket vs. form-a-gasket with the gasket, consensus?

I recently replaced the gasket on the side cover of my '99 XT350. The original failed at the top (as they appear want to do) and oil seeped/sprayed from the seam.

I f'ed up a part upon reassembly and must now replace the part and the side cover gasket again.

I'm wondering if there is a consensus within ThumperTalk regarding the use of or not using a sealant with the replacement gasket.

The upside is clearly: the sealant will hold the gasket in place while you are aligning parts.

The downside is: it can get messy and is a bitch to clean up should a replacement gasket be needed in the future.

But with two clean surfaces and a quality gasket between them, is it better, indifferent or worse to add the sealant to the to-be-mated surfaces?

Thoughts?

I normally try dry first. I've never had a major leak. Once in a while some very minor seepage that only shows up with the dust. If needed, I would use RTV silicone.

Mike

I have had to use it on my sons bike while waiting on a gasket i ordered i used the black silicone for oil and gas . never leaked and i put off replacing that gasket for about a week after i got it.  :thumbsup:

Surgically clean mating surfaces, proper gasket. Never a problem. If it leaks, something is not correct and should not be slathered with a sealant to resolve a problem.

I'd never use form a gasket or and sort of 'make do' stuff as it is a sign of a poorly maintained machine. Also, the proper gasket adds a precise thickness and is often required to maintain proper clearences.

• Like 1

Never use regular RTV where it can get inside the motor as hot oil can and will turn it to jelly type chunks . Those can clog oil passages . I've seen more than one oil pickup screen choked with that crap .

If there is a need for 'extra' sealing , I'd use case sealer , very sparingly .

Edited by pd350

Small sample size here, but it appears the consensus is form-a-gasket (i.e., sealant, added goo, etc.) is not necessary. I'm just waiting on the beer to chill down and I'll get started on the replacement part and new gasket.

For whatever it is worth, In the past, particularly with floppy rubber gaskets like with valve covers, I've always put a thin coat (with emphasis on "thin" as I do not want that shit floating around inside the motor as noted by pd350 above) of form-a-gasket on the surfaces. This holds the gasket in place nicely.

With the XT350, the gasket is fairly ridged and I have the luxury of working on the bike while it is lying on its side, so there is no need to hold it in place.

I'll report back if it leaks. With the gasket properly installed, there is no reason to believe it will.

I just recently replaced my cam chain and guides along with the clutch too and I just cleaned the two gasket surfaces real good with a small tooth brush size wire brush and then sprayed a little brake cleaner on a paper shop towel and wiped the surfaces real good . I put the new gasket on dry and put the cover back on and torqued the hex screws to spec . I don't have any leaks so far .

I just recently replaced my cam chain and guides along with the clutch too and I just cleaned the two gasket surfaces real good with a small tooth brush size wire brush and then sprayed a little brake cleaner on a paper shop towel and wiped the surfaces real good . I put the new gasket on dry and put the cover back on and torqued the hex screws to spec . I don't have any leaks so far .

Exactly as it should be . ;)