Sign in to follow this  

Oregon East Fort Rock with kids

Trying to plan a camping trip for memorial day weekend. Would like to try East Fort Rock. I have 2 girls (8 and 9) riding CRF 50's. They are doing pretty well. To date they have rode trails at Nicolai Mtn, Tahuya, McCubbins Gulch, and may have a TSF trip under their belt by then. They have done very well. I have only been to East Fort Rock once but the trails I saw seem like they would do just fine on. My question is about where to camp. Not worried about facilities but would like a place where there is something like a play area that they can ride at in spurts throughout the day. They cant yet handle long trail rides though I will take them out on a few. It does not need to be an official play area just somewhere that they can ride around and stay within sight. Any suggestions would be great.

2510 campground/ staging area has a learners loop, as does camp II. Holiday weekend will be  way too crowded IMO. And talcum powder dusty. here is a map.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5397900.pdf

Unfortunately I am limited on my opportunities to get out of town so I take what I can get. Is the dust typically really bad at the end of May? Pardon my ignorance, I am from the wet side of the state and thought dust was an urban legend. :D  

Can be brutal. It can rain all night, epic conditions in the morning, and a dust bowl in the afternoon. Head ons are a concern also, as every noob, squid and pit racer is out for the 1st ride of the summer.

Can be brutal. It can rain all night, epic conditions in the morning, and a dust bowl in the afternoon. Head ons are a concern also, as every noob, squid and pit racer is out for the 1st ride of the summer.

Bummer. Are any areas better than others? For example, Browns Camp has a super high idiot factor but the farther toward the coast you go the better it seems to get.

McCubbins Gulch is fun for kids at that stage.  If you drive into the first McCubbins gulch campground and take a right after you go over the creek there's another campground about 1/4 mile down the road.  There's maybe a dozen sites.  There's a footbridge that goes over the creek and there used to be a nice oval track on the other side of the creek that the kids can ride on.  I used to camp with my kids in the site at the end of the footbridge and hang out at camp while they rode the track and we'd also take short rides on the trail system from the first campground.  It's been a few years but I think it must still be the same setup.

• Like 1

McCubbins Gulch is fun for kids at that stage. If you drive into the first McCubbins gulch campground and take a right after you go over the creek there's another campground about 1/4 mile down the road. There's maybe a dozen sites. There's a footbridge that goes over the creek and there used to be a nice oval track on the other side of the creek that the kids can ride on. I used to camp with my kids in the site at the end of the footbridge and hang out at camp while they rode the track and we'd also take short rides on the trail system from the first campground. It's been a few years but I think it must still be the same setup.

Yes, it is. We have Ben doing that trip every year for about 5 years now. Going there 2 nd week in July as a matter of fact. Just trying to see a few more places.

Does McCubbins get pretty packed Memorial Day weekend? As in, is it still possible to find a spot if you can't get there until Saturday? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Henderson is a smaller area and some of it is ok for kids. There are hill climbs with loose shale that are challanging. Also a learners loop.