Sign in to follow this  

How many of us fix our own bikes ?

I stopped in at the local Honda dealership i used to work at through the 90's to give my old buddies a visit. Really good friend of mine ( Lead Technician ) was there and we got to talking. I asked if they got much Dirt bike work in since all i seen were dozens of street bikes, quads, and pwc in for services . He said said they rarely work on dirtbikes anymore and only sell a few parts. He laughed and said ( Hell you guys do all your own work you don't need me ) and with ebay parts sales they can't really compete. He does have a pretty nice new 2012 RMZ 450 with James Stewarts signature on the front number plate from last years phoenix race .  :thumbsup:

I work on all my rigs.  I wouldn't trust anyone else to even touch them.  But not everyone is technically inclined and do worst trying to fix it themselves.  My local shop does their share of dirt bikes.  They also do jet skis, jet boats, and mostly the popular 2-4 passenger ATV which go for a price tag of 20k +.  I suppose if you have enough money to buy an ATV that's 20k+, you certainly have enough money to have them fix it when it breaks down.  Most of them when I go there all have flats.  But yeah, I wouldn't let anyone even change a plug on any of my rigs.  If I have to split the case, no big deal.  Top end, an easy one Saturday spent in the garage.  Just about the only thing I'll let any dealer do for my rigs is mount and unmounts the tires. But you're right, why in the hell even buy parts from dealers when you can find them at 1/2 price or less on eBay.  I buy all my stuff on eBay pretty much or sometimes, get lucky and find someone parting out a bike on craigslist.  You just can't beat it. :devil:

• Like 6

I work on all my rigs.  I wouldn't trust anyone else to even touch them.  But not everyone is technically inclined and do worst trying to fix it themselves.  My local shop does their share of dirt bikes.  They also do jet skis, jet boats, and mostly the popular 2-4 passenger ATV which go for a price tag of 20k +.  I suppose if you have enough money to buy an ATV that's 20k+, you certainly have enough money to have them fix it when it breaks down.  Most of them when I go there all have flats.  But yeah, I wouldn't let anyone even change a plug on any of my rigs.  If I have to split the case, no big deal.  Top end, an easy one Saturday spent in the garage.  Just about the only thing I'll let any dealer do for my rigs is mount and unmounts the tires. But you're right, why in the hell even buy parts from dealers when you can find them at 1/2 price or less on eBay.  I buy all my stuff on eBay pretty much or sometimes, get lucky and find someone parting out a bike on craigslist.  You just can't beat it. :devil:

I know you do haha you didn't even have to comment  :lol:  I agree i found a top end kit all oem for my sons CR125 starting bid 25 bucks and no bids with an hour left. The dealerships around 30 miles from me and takes about an hour through all that traffic one way. So cheap price to begin with and saves my time and gas also . just a walk to the porch . My mailman cusses me daily i bet between the two bikes , firebird and my blazer add ons. :p  

I get my parts on the internet to. U get oem parts in 3 days or less as opposed to a week. And no sales tax

Yep, i usually use several places too, ebay, honda of troy, honda of east toledo , motosport, bike bandit and a few more 

Letting someone else work on my bike would be like letting someone else work on my wife. Don't think so! Got it down on how to keep either motor running.

Mike

• Like 7

I wrench on my own bike and others as a side job. I still buy parts locally 9 times out of 10 because of sponsorship. The only things I don't do myself are suspension re valves and machine work. I'm in the process of studying the science of all that so I can give it a shot.

• Like 2

Although i don't really like to work on my bikes...i wouldn't trust anyone else to do it, so i do it. Saves me money, and it's a good excuse to drink beer

• Like 4

i ride a 2 stroke so yes i work on my bike myself and i wont let anyone else even lay a tool on my bike that would be like an immediate death sentence to do that.

• Like 2

I try too support local business when there not way off base and I don't make a lot of money. For lots of reasons that I won't get into. My 2cents carry on lol

• Like 2

I do all the work even if I do not have the experience in that particular area. I learn by doing and actually consider the wrenching as a parallel part of the deal that I enjoy. I might mess it up the first time but I get it right eventually and then I know how. Since it is not my daily driver I am not afraid of taking anything apart. I am about to lace the spokes on a new set of wheels. I've learned tire changing and spoke adjustment, read many posts, watched many You Tube vids, and I'll figure it out....................eventually.

I find the local parts store vs. internet a tough call. I live fairly rural (Sierra Foothills) and the only dealer anywhere near here is truly local Honda, Suzuki and KTM dealer. Nice folks, good store and that sort of thing. I want them to survive and be there for me so I want to support them whenever I can. The cost and delivery time is a real issue though.

• Like 2

Well i brought up the topic so i guess i'll give it a go. I started working at 13 years old for an engine builder for 3 bucks an hour just taking them apart and cleaning parts . So been doing it ever since and worked for a few different dealerships. I know when working at those dealerships i had  X  amount of time for each job ( book time ) and i'd get payed  X  amount of dollars to do that job. I always done it to the best of my ability and used every tool possible  ( manuals, advice from other technicians ect ect . ) I always took a little extra time to do a little more to make the customer happy. Although i never worked on a customers machine like i did my own, on my own stuff or friends i go above and beyond i might even polish a few parts and break out some wax before its over with. I've also worked with several that just do enough to get it out the door and you never know who those people are when you drop your stuff off to be serviced. Besides that i can't see paying someone else 80 bucks an hour to maybe fix my problem . :thumbsup:

• Like 4

The local Honda shop near me has really nice people working there and the mechanics always do extra things and go out of their way for you. Theyve been in business for decades and i do support them, even if it costs more.

• Like 2

At $90+ per hour labor, I work on most everything myself.  Bikes, lawnmowers, cars, houses, pools, etc....

• Like 2

The local Honda shop near me has really nice people working there and the mechanics always do extra things and go out of their way for you. Theyve been in business for decades and i do support them, even if it costs more.

Look .. If you have no mechanical aptitude and have people you can trust AND don't Rip you ( Clean ) . Then good , it's rare to find decent service providers , even Here .. ( Down Under )

• Like 3

I do all of my own work on the bikes. Totally trust the guy at the shop up the road from my house, but there's no need to pay him to do stuff that I can quite easily do myself. Get most of my parts from him, and have him do machine work, press bearings and such though.

I do all my own work on my dirt bikes , I always check with Local shop for parts price and availability, they are always spot on for OME parts , if they are close I will go though them for other stuff, gear tires etc. , I belong to a club that gets a 10% discount there. No sales tax weather I get them local or though the internet, but sometimes the savings is justifiable online like I can get a set of tires from Ca. shipped free to NH and save 35-40 bucks and of course there is always flee-bay for used parts and pieces as I run old bikes, if I paid for repairs the cost would be more then value of the bikes pretty quickly.

• Like 1

I've been to the dealership once. And that was because I literally got a flat in my rear tire at the starting gate of my first moto. (Got 3rd too. :D). So between motos I flew to a dealership. They told me 20 to replace the tube. I got the ticket and it was 90 dollars. I was pissed. He's like. Oh, I tightened your chain too. Gah I was hot. 90 dollars for 20 minutes of work, on a part that costs 10 dollars. Yeah. Ido my own work

• Like 1

I'm 15 and I've worked on everything I have from jr 50's to the ktm 525 I have now I can go through the entire engine and tell you every piece and exatly what they do I love it it's the only thing I really love doing do much

• Like 2