Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys...lookin' to get back on a thumper

Howdy everyone.  I hope you can help me....this might be a long post!

I grew up on dirt bikes..rode a lot from 14-24.  I'll be 50 this year. I recently got a street bike and it never felt right.  I'm pretty set on a dual sport.  I've been reading reviews and comparisons till I am blue in the face!!

I do 95% city driving in Quebec, Canada.  More potholes/repairs than original asphalt!

I would like to do some very light offroading, dirt roads, easy trails.

I looked at a 2001 XR650L today.  Its a beast!   I'm 5'8".  Its way too big.  I was gonna look at a DRZ400 but I think it will be the same thing.  I also looked at a 2009 XT250 today.  Very nice little bike.  I'm just worried I'll get bored quickly as I do like my fast take-offs.  I'm totally fine staying off of highways and not going over 55.

Here's the problem....I should be happy and excited, but I just feel kind of apprehensive.

The XT is a 2009 and it has 50km on the odometer.....thats not a typo.  The guy bought it on a whim, drove it 2-3 times and just gave it up. Seems like a good guy, has money, big giant house, new cars in the driveway, giant shiny new truck...I guess it could happen.   Is there anything to worry about sitting 4 years?  He drained the gas and oil and put in fresh.  I guess I'm reluctant to spend that much money.  His bottom line is 3600$ (Things tend to be a bit more expensive in Canada).  I'm not well off,  and struggling a bit financially.  I actually sold a couple of my guitars from my collection to pay for it and have a 4000$ budget.  I should also mention that in quebec, the plate is 350$ for the season for 400cc and under and 560$ for over.  The XT will be 200$ cheaper than a 650 plus way better gas mileage.

I was almost sold on a 2009 KLR650 with 6000km for 4000$, but then I read about all the re-calls.  

I drove the XT around the block and was very surprised at how peppy it was.  I don't know why I am not excited, I'm almost sad to be spending that kind of money.  I've never bought myself anything nice, it would be cool to have an almost new bike (I drive a '95 Camry)

Sorry for the long post....any advice at all will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Edited by normanroofis

Sounds to me like you've already made your decision lol.

My sister had an xt225 which i guess is pretty much the same thing. It was a bit of a slug compared to my xr250 i had at the time but for just trundling around it was great.

With the drz, last time I rode one was around 2001 but i'm 5'10 (and weighed about 120 at the time) and had no problems.

As for the klr, you should be happy you passed on it. 35hp, 200kg and butt ugly, i have no idea why they keep selling.

There are lowering links for almost any motorcycle. I've seen many lowered DRZs. XT225 was like a tractor on the 1st gear, could climb almost any hill, it is easy to ride offroad too, but slowly. You'll probably get bored with it after half a year or one.

But paying 350$ a year for a 250cc bike! I would rather have a drz400s with lowering link if I had to pay that much

I'm not sure about the battery.  It started fine yesterday and its been cool here.  I've read a lot of them have cold starting issues.   I would almost rather it had a couple 1000km's.   Its a very comfy bike and fits me perfect.  I don't know whats holding me back.

I checked the guys other ads and he has a boat for sale that he is asking 80,000$!  I guess he's loaded and buys on a whim.  Its just strange it sat for 3-4yrs before he decided to sell it.  It does look like new.

I should also mention, if I do get a bit bored, I do have a 1979 Suzuki GS850 I bought a couple years ago.  It was 90% restored.  Just needs a carb dip and tune up.  I just don't have the time.  Its a classic bike and is only 250$ for the plate.  I could have the 850 and the 250 plated for the same cost as one 650$.  Its a no brainer....

I guess I'm reluctant because of the bike I just sold (77 'GS750).  I was totally conned by a very smooth talking dude.  I paid 1500$ too much and it was a total lemon.  I'm paranoid, but I guess you can't fake 50km on the odometer and the bike looks like new.  I also noticed, being a 2009 there are lots of aftermarket goodies available,

Edited by normanroofis