2014 crf 450 ECU Removal?

I was trying to figure how to remove the ECU on the 14 CRF 450.  I was able to slide it off the prong near the shock but I cannot figure out how to unplug it?

There's hardly any room to work. 

What do I squeeze or unsnap to remove the ECU???

Detailed instructions please!!!

Thank you!

I was trying to figure how to remove the ECU on the 14 CRF 450.  I was able to slide it off the prong near the shock but I cannot figure out how to unplug it?

There's hardly any room to work. 

What do I squeeze or unsnap to remove the ECU???

Detailed instructions please!!!

Thank you!

Not sure if the 14 differs from the 12, but I just pulled mine (12) yesterday. Not sure if this helps, but pull the rubber shroud off the connector plug and look underneath, there is a little snap lever you depress to unlatch the mating halves, then wiggle and pull apart. Pull holding the connectors, not the wires.

See pictures. Note the arrow that points to the release tab - push down on that tab before you separate the 2 halves of the connectors.

First photo is the top view of the connector, second photo is the underside of the connector.

DSC00147 (Custom).JPG

DSC00149 (Custom).JPG

Edited by tahoemike00

Do NOT pry or otherwise try to move the clear plastic connector cover/protector, else protection integrity will be compromised.

Simply press the cover to lift the rocking latch tab, then wiggle the ECU out. The tab is on the shock side and is tough to get the first time, easy after that. Here's some pix I took to help show where it is:

Here's where you press the rocking latch, just below my finger:

------------------------

IMG_00000622_zps0f29fbad.jpg

Here's how it sits in the bike if you're on the left-side trying to remove it, latch is on other side in this pic:

--------------------

IMG_00000621_zpsbc4a801a.jpg

Edited by Eddie8v

I forgot to mention that you need to pop that little plastic tube-holding clip out of its metal retainer so you can move that rear-most airboot drain hose out of the way, make life easier.

Do NOT forget to re-attach it after the ECU is back in place!!!

Eddie is on the money as always, once you have done it a few times it becomes child's play, you figure exactly where to push and where to wiggle. One of my friends dismantled his bike to do it, and spent over an hour just trying to get the airboot back in place, he was less than impressed when I pulled the ecu Off in about 15 seconds. The look on his face was priceless.

Do NOT pry or otherwise try to move the clear plastic connector cover/protector, else protection integrity will be compromised.

Simply press the cover to lift the rocking latch tab, then wiggle the ECU out. The tab is on the shock side and is tough to get the first time, easy after that. Here's some pix I took to help show where it is:

Here's where you press the rocking latch, just below my finger:

------------------------

Here's how it sits in the bike if you're on the left-side trying to remove it, latch is on other side in this pic:

--------------------

So in my post, the clear cover is in 2 pieces - I assume now by looking at your photos, that the cover on mine has been sliced open?

I can only assume that the previous owner sliced the boot open to get to the release tab. 

And when you say "protection integrity" I assume you mean protection from dirt, mud, moisture?

He may have sliced it, yep.

Correct on the protection thoughts, you just want to keep water and mud outta there.

OK, thanks. Coincidentally this is a (Tokyo modded) oem module that is on it's way to [Edit] Eddie Sisneros [/Edit] now.

There were several questionable things the previous owner had done to this bike, and I have corrected/fixed most. The ecu being the latest. But that is one of the risks one takes when buying a used bike.

I just looked at the microfiche parts list for my '12 and it seems the wiring harness is all one assembly and the clear boot is not available as a separate piece. Argh!

Edited by tahoemike00

ECU on the way to me? I believe you may have me confused with Eddie Sisneros as I assume you've shipped one to him for remapping...

Haha, yeah I just realized that after I posted that. But rest assured my module was sent to Eddie Sisneros. (I hope? )

Edited by tahoemike00

• 1 year later...