Sign in to follow this  

1987 RM 125 Clutch Replacement

First time rider here, I picked up the bike today and it needs work, how do i remove the clutch basket? there is a nut i can thread back onto the thread in the center of the basket, is it possible it is left hand threaded? and in the pictures the only thing that appears to be holding the basket in when moved back and fourth is the piece which my finger is pointing to. i tried to take it out but it just spins and never loosens in both directions. all help is welcomed, Thanks!

Also it needs a new master cylnder for the front brakes, where is a good place to find a old part like this ? THANKS!

20140423_222732.jpg

20140423_222943.jpg

20140423_222931.jpg

First time rider here, I picked up the bike today and it needs work, how do i remove the clutch basket? there is a nut i can thread back onto the thread in the center of the basket, is it possible it is left hand threaded? and in the pictures the only thing that appears to be holding the basket in when moved back and fourth is the piece which my finger is pointing to. i tried to take it out but it just spins and never loosens in both directions. all help is welcomed, Thanks!

Also it needs a new master cylnder for the front brakes, where is a good place to find a old part like this ? THANKS!

Thats the crankshaft you keep just spinning , you can put a penny or aluminum washer between the crank gear and clutch basket gear to break that nut loose or i use an impact gun if you have one and air. Best place to find parts for that would be ebay. Message a few people that have stores that part out a lot of bikes if there isn't stuff listed you need. hope this helps.  :thumbsup:

I have tried using my impact drill and jamming a rag between the gears but nothing happens. the bolt just spins and never loosens. and some point it feels like it is tight then 1/2 turn later it is loose and will turn freely. This happens when turning either direction. There is a slot on the end of the bolt for what appears to be a screw driver and i cant use the impact with a screw driver in there so i tried wrenching it, same result. Anything else?

Sounds like the threads are stripped on the crank . Tried using a box wrench and screwdriver just to see what's turning and not ? The washer works better it just pulls the rag in there with something solid but softer than the gear it will hold better with no play .

Didn't even have to take the crankshaft out, just had to wiggle it around a bit until the gears lined up to remove it. Got the new basket in and will resume the project next weekend with a buddy who has worked on rm's before. Thanks for the help and I will be sure to post back if anything else goes wrong.