Sign in to follow this  

Car 500 noise, is this normal?

Hi, I have a 93 CR 500 I recently bought. Bike is in great shape with new top and bottom end. It was making an occasional rattle at high rpm and when coming off the throttle. I assumed this was the top end so I tore it apart. Mechine shop says cylinder and piston are perfect, so I decided to replace rings and wrist pin, and have cylinder honed for good measure. Crank and rod bearings are also tight with no play. I noticed the clutch gear and crank gears have a little play together and makes a faint click noise when the crank is giggled back and forth. Bike shop says this play is normal. Anyone have any ideas what this engine rattle noise could be, and is the play between the clutch and main gear normal? (See video attached) Thanks!

-Kyle

There is no attached video...

That being said I bet it is something simple like a rattling pipe spring or pipe mount. Check for that and check to make sure the pipe is not in contact with the frame or subframe anywhere on the bike.

Hi, I have a 93 CR 500 I recently bought. Bike is in great shape with new top and bottom end. It was making an occasional rattle at high rpm and when coming off the throttle. I assumed this was the top end so I tore it apart. Mechine shop says cylinder and piston are perfect, so I decided to replace rings and wrist pin, and have cylinder honed for good measure. Crank and rod bearings are also tight with no play. I noticed the clutch gear and crank gears have a little play together and makes a faint click noise when the crank is giggled back and forth. Bike shop says this play is normal. Anyone have any ideas what this engine rattle noise could be, and is the play between the clutch and main gear normal? (See video attached) Thanks!

-Kyle

had a rattle on my 250 at high rpm as well it turned out to be my kick start on the pipe . If all your internals are good it's probably something stupid like that

my 500 needs new pipe springs and gasket ever couple years or it rattles

Does it sound like marbles inside a coffee can?  I'm wondering if you aren't detonating at higher RPM.