Sign in to follow this  

CR 500 noise, is this normal?

Hi, I have a 93 CR 500 I recently bought. Bike is in great shape with new top and bottom end. It was making an occasional rattle at high rpm and when coming off the throttle. I assumed this was the top end so I tore it apart. Mechine shop says cylinder and piston are perfect, so I decided to replace rings and wrist pin, and have cylinder honed for good measure. Crank and rod bearings are also tight with no play. I noticed the clutch gear and crank gears have a little play together and makes a faint click noise when the crank is giggled back and forth. Bike shop says this play is normal. Anyone have any ideas what this engine rattle noise could be, and is the play between the clutch and main gear normal? (See video attached) Thanks!

-Kyle

The play between the clutch gear and the crank gear is normal.  Sometimes you can hear a high pitched "whining" noise from the clutch and crank gear, but a "rattling" noise?  Can you describe how the rattling noise is?

If you hear a rattling noise, are you sure it's not your exhaust?  Is your exhaust bolted on tight and is there anything that could rub against it to create a rattle?  next time you hear the rattle while riding, could you put your foot onto the exhaust firmly to see if you can mute the noise?

Mechanically if it's in the cylinder, the two things to check then are squish level (clearance between the piston and head) and ensure you're using high octane on these bikes.

Thanks for the info! The rattling is also a kind if "clicking" or "ticking" noise, fairly hard to describe. I was sure the sound was piston slap, until I heard back from the mechine shop. I'm hoping the wrist pin replacement helps. Hard to investigate too much because it presents itself at high RPM, and I'm fairly busy just hanging on at that point!