Sign in to follow this  

Getting Out Of The Industry - What To Get?

My only full times jobs since I graduated college has been a parts manager at one dealership to online sales manager at another. I've always been able to get killer deals on parts, oil, and gear. I am about to put my 2 weeks in to go work for IBM at a big-boy job. However, since I'll be working at IBM, which has absolutely nothing to do with the motorsports industry, I won't be able to get as good of a deal on parts and accessories as I have in the past. However, if I need to get some things here and there, I know I can call a current co-worker and he will be able to still give me his employee cost on items I need. But I'm trying to stock on up things that I know I will need this summer to prevent having him pick me up something every single day since I am getting back into full time race mode.

Here's what I got for a bike:

2013 KTM 250SX-F

Here are the parts that I have already stocked up on:

6 Gallons of Motorex 10w50 oil

2 Gallons of Bel-Ray Foam Filter Oil

5 Gallons of parts cleaner for my Air Filters

2 Sets of Tires

3 Sets of gear

What are some other things that you'd recommend stocking up so you don't have to make the trip out to the dealership often? I cannot get any OEM KTM parts, only aftermarket parts. I'm so use to being able to order parts every single day when I need them at work, that I feel like I'm forgetting some things that I know I will need later on, but just can't think of them... any suggestions?

My only full times jobs since I graduated college has been a parts manager at one dealership to online sales manager at another. I've always been able to get killer deals on parts, oil, and gear. I am about to put my 2 weeks in to go work for IBM at a big-boy job. However, since I'll be working at IBM, which has absolutely nothing to do with the motorsports industry, I won't be able to get as good of a deal on parts and accessories as I have in the past. However, if I need to get some things here and there, I know I can call a current co-worker and he will be able to still give me his employee cost on items I need. But I'm trying to stock on up things that I know I will need this summer to prevent having him pick me up something every single day since I am getting back into full time race mode.

2013 KTM 250SX-F

2 Sets of Tires

3 Sets of gear

What are some other things that you'd recommend stocking up so you don't have to make the trip out to the dealership often? I cannot get any OEM KTM parts, only aftermarket parts. I'm so use to being able to order parts every single day when I need them at work, that I feel like I'm forgetting some things that I know I will need later on, but just can't think of them... any suggestions?

Plugs, tubes, rim bands, extra air filter, maybe a chain also if you have sprockets already , brake pads . :thumbsup:

2013 KTM 250SX-F

2 Sets of Tires

3 Sets of gear

Chain and sprockets levers brake pads bars.

Chain, sprockets, bars, grips, spark plugs, cables, levers, engine parts (bearings, seals, gaskets, etc), plastics, hand guards (if you use 'em), bash plate, chain slider/rollers, tubes, spokes

So, essentially everything you would need to build a bike from scratch 

Edited by DirtRider500R
  • Like 1

Rockymountain will take care of you. Doesnt get much cheaper than their prices, your big boy job at ibm should cover the difference and then some!

• Like 2

2013 KTM 250SX-F

2 Sets of Tires

3 Sets of gear

You were a parts Mgr and you are asking US?     Maybe you are better suited at IBM!

• Like 4

The dealership was 10% Yamaha ATVs, 1% Dirt Bikes, 10% Yamaha Star and 79% John Deere. Not around dirt bikes every day. Besides, I'm trying to get everything in two weeks. Don't you ever get that feeling that you're missing something?

I have 2 Moto-9s. 3 sets of gear. Unbreakable levers I have on the way, tires I can always get for roughly same price.

Nobody changes there fork oil? Or am I so old school nobody runs anything but air? Lol

I always air up my forks before a ride . :) I found about 50 psi will do it if you want it nice and stiff .