Sign in to follow this  

Engine cover removal.

so I'm planning on taking the engine cover off of my 2005 RM 250 on the clutch side. note, I am NOT taking off the clutch cover but the actual whole side panel of the motor.

my question is this, do I need to take the water pump cover off as well as removing the water impeller or can I just leave that on, drain the fluids, and pull everything off together including the clutch cover and the water pump cover? I am already aware that I need to remove the kick lever and the brake pedal and that I need to drain the coolant in the oil.

Edited by djsather

no you dont need to remove cover or impeller, however, you will need to remove a few of the bolts on the impeller cover,  I think when it is all said and done you will only have 1 or 2 bolts left holding the cover in place.  Once you remove all the bolts for the inner clutch cover, and take off the kick starter, the inner clutch cover will come off.  Take notice to a small washer that is on the impeller shaft, if you are not careful you can lose it very easy.  It should stay in the case half, however depending how you remove the cover it may come with the shaft.  Other than that you should be ok.  Also if you haven't done this before, take notice to how the power valve set up comes apart so you can put it back together correctly.