Sign in to follow this  

First orange bike, 06 525sx

Just purchased a 06 525sx. Got it for $850 it has bad crank bearings, needs cylinder work done. Head looks good and appears to have had some porting work done. The crank seal area on the clutch side center case half is beat up pretty badly. Bike had a 13:1 Standard bore JE piston (would this require race gas?) Why cant I find any 11:1 stock bore pistons? Other things bike needs are rear fender, rear wheel bearings, and the handle bar decomp lever mount is broken. Bike has tri star top triple clamp (are these aftermarket, are they any good?) Bike also has a FMF Factory 4 exhaust system that says powered by KTM with power bomb. (Is this any good or desirable exhaust?) Has pro taper contour bars. I don't know a thing about KTMs all my experience is with a 96 XR600R. Any info would be greatly appreciated, tell me what I have guys did I get screwed?

You never really know with project bike until everything is pulled down for inspection. You may very well need crank work/or replacement as a common cause of crank bearings failing is the crank spreading and loading the bearing up. It can add up fast! But on the bright side, you will know you have a reliable bike for some time to come. Keep us inquiring minds posted. Good luck.

The crank spreading, That could very well be a problem, im glad you mentioned it because I hadnt thought of checking that. Would be a shame to spend all that money and have it fail again. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me about the stuff on the bike and if I will wind up spending more than the bike is worth?

Just a update here on my project. I have decided to try and purchase some case halves as a set. I found a used flywheel in good shape. I have since measured my crank. I read it should be 65mm across the web with 0.05 +/- the best I can get with the set of calipers I have is 65.11mm. Im guessing that this is what happend to the clutch side bearing. Now I guess I have to get the crank rebuilt.