Sign in to follow this  

Am I dumb for this? Please give me your 2 cents!

Wanting to buy a 2007 honda 450x made street legal. Great shape.

Planning on using it to putt around town most days and hit trails in my free time. Probably run an hour on the freeway once a month. I know this bike wasn't made for road but I want ittt!

Am I dumb for considering? I have no problem with the extra basic maintenence

Thank you for your thoughtful words!

Wanting to buy a 2007 honda 450x made street legal. Great shape.

Planning on using it to putt around town most days and hit trails in my free time. Probably run an hour on the freeway once a month. I know this bike wasn't made for road but I want ittt!

Am I dumb for considering? I have no problem with the extra basic maintenence

Thank you for your thoughtful words!

If it's what'll make you happy then go for it! It would be a pretty fun bike to have so I dont see why not! Do what you like, have fun and be safe!

I'm guessing it won't be much fun on the freeway, regardless of gearing. My DRZ400 and WR450 weren't.

Mike

I'm guessing it won't be much fun on the freeway, regardless of gearing. My DRZ400 and WR450 weren't.

Mike

Depends on the person. I have a full blown dirt bike that I peel lots of highway miles on and love it!!

Just remember NOT to use these tires for anything other than street.

IMG_20140226_132115_zps08a21511.jpg

You have the option of using taller gearing for any freeway use .

+1 to Chooken's comment....you'll have to change the sprockets (or sprocket) to make it work for what you do the most of. I think the rear one has much to much tooth count for street stuff. jmo  ;)

Those 450x's go through top ends pretty quick and need valve adjustments pretty much after every weekend of riding.  I'll definitely concur with the others that it won't be a pleasant ride on the freeway, but its certainly doable once-in-awhile.  Only thing I'll add is to check your state's policy on legalizing dirt bikes.  Several states have outlawed it and the only way to have a legally plated bike is to get an older one that was plated before the law came into existence. 

Those 450x's go through top ends pretty quick and need valve adjustments pretty much after every weekend of riding. I'll definitely concur with the others that it won't be a pleasant ride on the freeway, but its certainly doable once-in-awhile. Only thing I'll add is to check your state's policy on legalizing dirt bikes. Several states have outlawed it and the only way to have a legally plated bike is to get an older one that was plated before the law came into existence.

Adjustments after every weekend??? Where do you get these facts man??? There is no way it's that often...

Those 450x's go through top ends pretty quick and need valve adjustments pretty much after every weekend of riding.  I'll definitely concur with the others that it won't be a pleasant ride on the freeway, but its certainly doable once-in-awhile.  Only thing I'll add is to check your state's policy on legalizing dirt bikes.  Several states have outlawed it and the only way to have a legally plated bike is to get an older one that was plated before the law came into existence.

BULLSHIT! Sounds like you got one with a garage valve job

I ride my WR450 regularly on the street around town. Highway isn't fun though. I have mine geared to do about 55 top end (not too high RPM for cruising). But other than that it is fantastic. The ability to bomb down the road for 15 minutes and then goof off on some trails is worth it's weight in gold to me. But I live in Wyoming and have those kinds of things nearby. That said, around 45-50 mpg and a 3+ gallon tank will get you around quite well wherever you want to go

Don't waste your time.

I owned a CRF450x that was plated for 6 years. That motor does NOT like blasting at a constant speed for long periods of time.

Even cruising at 50mph for a while it slowly cooks for valves/valve guides/the valve springs lose their temper. And the short skirted piston needs replacing every 6k miles. They are fun bikes, yet when you start doing a cylinder head every 4k miles it gets pricey (if done right).

Mine gave no warning both times when the valves decided to burn and leave me with a great bike with no compression, one minute I'm kicking ass on tight fireroads eating KTM's for lunch, the next moment I'm sitting there with 40lbs of compression. And yes I checked my valves all the time!

Food for thought

you were not, with a 540x eating ktms for lunch.

Actually Sparky, it was a 450x, not a 540, and yes on that day I was. 

Also you wear brash unsubstantiated retaliatory arrogance well...... ;-)

Actually Sparky, it was a 450x, not a 540, and yes on that day I was. 

Also you wear brash unsubstantiated retaliatory arrogance well...... ;-)

I made a typo, and meant 450x, and no you did not on that day beat a ktm, unless the ktm was a 250, or smaller.  It was sick, or the rider didn't know you were there. I have ridden Honda crf x' and although they are a decent bike, I find the power quite lame. If calling out bullshit gets me called arrogant, then so be it.

I made a typo, and meant 450x, and no you did not on that day beat a ktm, unless the ktm was a 250, or smaller. It was sick, or the rider didn't know you were there. I have ridden Honda crf x' and although they are a decent bike, I find the power quite lame. If calling out bullshit gets me called arrogant, then so be it.

So you are calling out your own BS? Its the rider NOT The bike. Go race a desert HS or Baja and see how good the KTM big bores do. Not well at all compared to Hondas.