Sign in to follow this  

07 WR250F Timing mark please confirm

Hi Guys,

Can you guys confirm this is the right timing setup? This is how I got the bike.

Thanks

XR

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Does not look right, you might be one tooth over. But try to line up the TDC marks perfectly. Lobes have to be at 10 and 2 o'clock and the little dots in a straight line on the other side, just like the manual says. Check the valves and shim them if needed, to move the chain you have to remove the cam caps.

Edited by meWR250f

Looks like both camshafts are retarded a tooth.

When looking at the cam sprockets as in the first pic, the dot on the FRONT edge of the exhaust sprocket and the dot on the REAR edge of the intake sprocket need to be level with the gasket surface of the cylinder head.

Never mind the dots at the top.

This is for stock camshafts, by the way.

Most probably the issue came from the fact that when they install the exhaust cam there was a bot of slack on the chain (left side as you look at the first pic). And you should install the exhaust cam first. Then when they installed the tensioner everything rotated over slightly. It is one of the things I've learned when doing the valves first time.

Edited by meWR250f

When I took this pictures I really made sure the timing mark on the crank is dead ON.

YZEtc i'm thinking the same way, its retarded one tooth. The bike start cold good, runs good only thing I would say is that hard start when hot using electric start. It require using choke during hot start.

I'll change it and move it one tooth forward and let see what happen.

XR

Just follow up and close this issue.

I went ahead and moved both cams one tooth to the left and that was the perfect timing. Both dot marks on both cams lined exactly on the head. The bike start easy without struggle using the electric start.

Also the illustration on the shop manual is also correct, follow what the shop manual timing mark

Remember this is for 07 WR250F and not for YZ250F.

Thanks,

XR