Sign in to follow this  

Trials bike for play riding?

I currently ride a TTR250 4 stroke @ local OHV parks. Most of the time I ride fireroads or find a section of hills and climb / descend and repeat the process. I am really intrigued by trials bikes because they are light and have a low center of gravity. I am starting to feel like my current dirt bike is just so tall and heavy compared to my mountain bike. I mentioned a trials bike to a couple riding buddies and they said "You going to start hopping on rocks?"  I don't think I would ever do trials riding in its true form but wonder if "play riding" would work on a trials bike. I know I might want a seat of some sort if I find I can't stand long enough and might need more fuel. What else to consider as pro's or con's for such use? Thanks.

Edited by keenxxx
  • Like 1

Trials bikes shine when your buddies also have them. They are also great for small riding areas where a loud bike will cause trouble. I ride about 1/2 the time in my yard and the rest with my buddies. I feel it is best to have many bikes so I get one of each. Maybe that is just being a single guy thing though. Riding a trials event is a lot of fun and will help you be a better rider. 

• Like 2

None I my friends have trials bikes. If we are riding together we just take loops @ the local OHV park and may stop at various practice hills to give them a go. I am getting a little tired of just going fast in circles. I'd rather ride a little then spend time in a section plunking around.

At my local OHV areas technical rock ledges or huge exposed tree roots are the crux and what separate intermediate trails from advanced.  I got my trials bike to practice and get better on that type of terrain. I also took others advice to join a trials club and compete to improve my skills even faster. Thru the club I have meet other trails guys that trail ride on a trials bike and have had a blast riding super hard trails that would be too hard to be fun on a 450. 

Chancing after real dirt bikes that like to go fast on a trails bike would suck. I have a seat on mine just to hold more fuel, you can not sit while riding. The pegs are set too far back on a trials bike, it's not designed to be ridden seated. It took me 2 years to get strong enough in the legs to do long rides on a trials bike. To start you need access to hard terrain close to the staging area to have fun.  I would suspect most of what you "play" on with your dirt bike would be too easy and boring on a trials bike. I am lucky to have a great backyard to ride in. Love it.. If I had to sell some bikes the Beta would be last to go. 

I have always been primarily a trail rider but I have a Trials bike and have done some Trials competitions, they are great for improving your skills. 

A typical ride for me starts with the Trials bike on technical trails for a warm up, and then on a trail bike for the rest of the day. 

So go for it.

on edit: I should add that one of my trail riding buddies almost always brings his trailized Montesa 4RT on trail rides. Of course for him the more technical the better, but he does move quickly thru the woods.

Edited by Chuck.

i'm only seven months into trials and loving it. i'd suggest joining a club as the competitions are really chilled out friendly events. check out the info here for anyone looking at getting into it: 

• Like 1

im looking at doing the same thing... 4 of my buddies made the switch to trIals bikes for trAil riding and after a few rides and getting into standing shape they say they'd never go back... its not about speed anymore its about technical trAil riding and getting places and exploring..

im also in the market and plan on using a big two stroke Trials bike as a trail bike!  Yes, I will join trials club and see how that goes....

• Like 1

forgot to mention, there are always the hybrid bikes too that are halfway between a trials bike and dirt bike... the ktm freeride, sherco x-ride, ossa explorer. see this link. 

I have a ktm 200 xcw and a sherco 290. I love both bikes but would not want to be without either of them. The sherco is an absolute blast and the things you can do on a trials bike are amazing. There is nothing like making it up a nasty section on your trials bike that most people couldn't walk up. I wouldn't want to "trail ride" it for long periods of time though. 1-3 are technical slow gears and 4-5 are a big jump 3 is too slow for trails  and 4 is a wide gap between 3. there not made to ride fast for long periods of time.

• Like 2

The terrain at my place is more suited to a trials rig, and that is the sole reason I bought an evo. That being said, I love my Husky wr167 and consider it to be the Betas' alter ego. Though the heigth and weight difference is staggering between these Italian beauties, both are capable of conquering the same trails at simular speeds. For me, the Husqvarna is the more 'Technical' in the rough stuff. The Beta is truly a cheater bike but mainly because I can dab my foot on the low side of a slope whereas on the Husq I can only reach the high side which has bit me a couple of times. Johnny Walker I am not.

But as for using the Beta as it was intended, the balance and flickability puts it squarely in a different class as an enduro. With the long range kit I can sit fairly comfortable when trailing, but to shift I stand and generally feel better standing overall

• Like 1

forgot to mention, there are always the hybrid bikes too that are halfway between a trials bike and dirt bike... the ktm freeride, sherco x-ride, ossa explorer. see this link. 

agreed if they sold the ktm freeride 2t in Canada i'd have one!

I have always been primarily a trail rider but I have a Trials bike and have done some Trials competitions, they are great for improving your skills. 

A typical ride for me starts with the Trials bike on technical trails for a warm up, and then on a trail bike for the rest of the day. 

So go for it.

on edit: I should add that one of my trail riding buddies almost always brings his trailized Montesa 4RT on trail rides. Of course for him the more technical the better, but he does move quickly thru the woods.

i want to try Montesa... but think that a 250 4t would be a little under powered... i like the idea of the evo 300 but the montesa has such a large cult like following it's gonnna be hard to not look at seriously... 

This is really interesting to me, and has sparked my imagination...

just to spark it a little more....  :thumbsup:

i want to try Montesa... but think that a 250 4t would be a little under powered... i like the idea of the evo 300 but the montesa has such a large cult like following it's gonnna be hard to not look at seriously... 

A 4RT certainly doesn't have the power of a 250 MX bike but it is designed for a different use. My friends 4RT is as fast as my lightened XR200R with a Powroll 218 engine set up for woods not track.  The 4RT has a big following and I'm a 4T fan, but I prefer the power of my my Montesa 315R (250cc 2T) for Trials riding over the 4RT.

• Like 1

thanks chuck... im currently looking at the beta evo 300 for woods set up and try so trials... i love honda but wont get a 2504t until/if i get to try one out... 

everyone in the trials sport or that has a bike should be welcoming to new comer taking their bikes for a spin... i know its hard but a good way to grow the sport... but hey i was very select who and where people got to try my bikes especially the 8k variety

just to spark it a little more....  :thumbsup:

thanks for the video's any idea what size the enduro bikes are?

thanks for the video's any idea what size the enduro bikes are?

KTM 200, WR450F and Husaberg FE570. there's also a bush pig DR650 here and there. 

What would be a good first trials bike? Something just to mess around on?

depends a lot on weight, experience, how far you think you'll take the trials riding, if you'll be doing some trail riding as well etc. we've got a comprehensive answer on our club website here, just click on the buying a bike link. 

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 1

KTM 200, WR450F and Husaberg FE570. there's also a bush pig DR650 here and there.

depends a lot on weight, experience, how far you think you'll take the trials riding, if you'll be doing some trail riding as well etc. we've got a comprehensive answer on our club website here, just click on the buying a bike link.

160lbs, never ridden a trials bike but been on dirt bikes since I was 6, and just looking to play around on the bike, nothing serious.

Just checked the link, some good info!