2008 kx250f

Hello thumper talk!

Need help in getting me a bike. (I understand there's forums on that but I need mechanical help not bored thumpers)

Background:

I'm 23 just started this year trail riding cause my gf wanted to try it out.

She's 5 foot 2 inches and I got her a 2002 cr125.. To big so went to a kx85

So I've rode both and have been riding trails, small mx track, and free ride.

I've been searching for the right 1998-2002 cr250 BUT a 2008 kx250f has came along.

I know nothing about dirtbike 4 strokes. I've been doing all repairs on the two 2 strokes we had/have.

This kx250f is just a roller with the motor pulled. Guy got it in a trade has title and registered. He's outta town so it bought me time to get to think about this.

Says he pulled the motor to concur it was a rod bearing that went. Said he took it to a shop to look at it. Now he's selling it

I personally have never cracked a case open to replace and have not done a top end. Only clutch, rejetting, just simple stuff.

My dad is a mechanic on offshore race boats so if I have trouble I know he could end up helping.

Questions are what should I look for when I look at the motor? Just feel the slop in the bearing? Is it noticeable seeing if the rod slapped around in the case? Any thing I should look for? Anything I should look for on a 4 stroke?

Was thinking of bringing my tools and strip the top end to check the cams and values being cupped

I like two strokes. Simply cheap. But he only wants 1 grand. If it's just a bottom end I could easily double/double 1/2 profit when I sell it in my area.

Any tips help advice everything I appreciate a lot! Thank you advanced fellow thumper!

Only pic I have of the 2008 kx250f

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398332798.127869.jpg

Hello thumper talk!

Need help in getting me a bike. (I understand there's forums on that but I need mechanical help not bored thumpers)

Background:

I'm 23 just started this year trail riding cause my gf wanted to try it out.

She's 5 foot 2 inches and I got her a 2002 cr125.. To big so went to a kx85

So I've rode both and have been riding trails, small mx track, and free ride.

I've been searching for the right 1998-2002 cr250 BUT a 2008 kx250f has came along.

I know nothing about dirtbike 4 strokes. I've been doing all repairs on the two 2 strokes we had/have.

This kx250f is just a roller with the motor pulled. Guy got it in a trade has title and registered. He's outta town so it bought me time to get to think about this.

Says he pulled the motor to concur it was a rod bearing that went. Said he took it to a shop to look at it. Now he's selling it

I personally have never cracked a case open to replace and have not done a top end. Only clutch, rejetting, just simple stuff.

My dad is a mechanic on offshore race boats so if I have trouble I know he could end up helping.

Questions are what should I look for when I look at the motor? Just feel the slop in the bearing? Is it noticeable seeing if the rod slapped around in the case? Any thing I should look for? Anything I should look for on a 4 stroke?

Was thinking of bringing my tools and strip the top end to check the cams and values being cupped

I like two strokes. Simply cheap. But he only wants 1 grand. If it's just a bottom end I could easily double/double 1/2 profit when I sell it in my area.

Any tips help advice everything I appreciate a lot! Thank you advanced fellow thumper!

Only pic I have of the 2008 kx250f

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398332798.127869.jpg

run for the hills wait till you find what you want.

Not a good idea unless you're heavily mechanically inclined and could get it for less

How cheap are we talking I should get it for? He already has offers I've seen for like 600$. It's on a Facebook forum so it's nice to see that. I'm not really worried about getting it for a grand. I feel like that's fair. If it is just a rod bearing I'll be in the bike for around 1400$. These kx250f people are asking 2,500-3,000$

I mean honestly what's beast case scenario price I'm looking at for parts? And worst case?

I mean obviously the head and valves are unknown since I haven't seen them. But they could be fine right? And if they aren't I'll need a top end kit and intake/exhaust valves and shims and that's it right? Maybe a cam chain and most likely need the cylinder walls to be renickeled?