Sign in to follow this  

Easiest (cheapest) way to get an 18" rear wheel for late model YZ?

What years of YZ/WR have interchangeable rear wheels?  I'm looking for an inexpensive way to try an 18" rear wheel on my late model YZ125.  Although I can true wheels and replace spokes, I'm definitely not ready to try lacing up my own.

Edit:  Sorry, title should have specified YZ 125.

Edited by rpt50

Believe it or not, but lacing a wheel is really pretty easy. And if the rim is new, it's easy to keep it true. It might not be the cheapest way to get an 18, but it will likely be the best wheel you can get for the price. Short of that, find a deal on a WR250 wheel. I think 02-08 should fit, maybe others, too.

Edited by bg10459
  • Like 1

You can buy a new rim but don't forget the spokes if you're concerned with cost!  To your door, a set of spokes will be very close to $100.  I would  say, initially watch ebay for a rear wheel assy, or maybe just a hub.   Ideally of course, find an 18 on ebay but they are kinda rare.  I was sort of looking for a while but I gave up for a while.

For the rear hub:

5ET00 - 22MM AXLE OD - BRG TO BRG 120MM - ROTOR OD 245MM, 6X BC DIA 133MM -

FITS 99-11 YZ125 YZ250, 99 YZ400, 00-02 YZ426F, 01-08 YZ250F YZ450F, 99-00 WR400F, 01-02 WR426F, 03-11 WR450F – 5ET-25311-00-00

Edited by ADVRider808

You definitely don't want a big WR rear wheel, it will overpower your engine. I've been looking for a rear for my 250, and price-wise, it looks like the Tusk rear wheel assembly is the cheapest way to go, while keeping your stock wheel.

The other route is the Moose solution of rim+spokes (~$160) or Excel kit (~$230)

Of course, add a sprocket and rotor... 

You definitely don't want a big WR rear wheel, it will overpower your engine. I've been looking for a rear for my 250, and price-wise, it looks like the Tusk rear wheel assembly is the cheapest way to go, while keeping your stock wheel.

The other route is the Moose solution of rim+spokes (~$160) or Excel kit (~$230)

Of course, add a sprocket and rotor... 

Why not get a WR250F rear wheel? It's 18"x1.85" rather than the 2.15" width from the 450. Either way an 18" tire is gonna be heavier than a 19" setup, I doubt the width is going to be very noticeable between the 2 with many offroad tires.

Why not get a WR250F rear wheel? It's 18"x1.85" rather than the 2.15" width from the 450. Either way an 18" tire is gonna be heavier than a 19" setup, I doubt the width is going to be very noticeable between the 2 with many offroad tires.

when I said the big wr, I was talking about the 450. The wider/heavier tire will hurt your turning/leaning ability, and will lower the your "spin up" ability

when I said the big wr, I was talking about the 450. The wider/heavier tire will hurt your turning/leaning ability, and will lower the your "spin up" ability

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it made much difference on an 18" wheel. The tires are heavy as is.