Sign in to follow this  

VOR 503 SM won't start - no spark

Could you please help me to solve a problem with my bike?

I have probably a problem with ignition. So far I rode the bike for aprox. 15mth.

Since I bought the bike in January the starting of the bike with warm engine was getting harder. 

Every time I bougt a new spark-plug (3-times) the starting got better but after a short time again. This ended so, that I couldnť start the bike at all.

I cleaned the carb. many times, also the tank. This week I hope to receieve new spare parts for my carb (DellOrto PHM38). Idle jet is damaged, cabel lead is broken, needle is probably worn...

I adjusted the valves clearance (there was 0 on the intake valves), bought a new air filter

So I came to check the ignition. Here you can see my ignition coil I bought the bike with: http://www.motorkari...tail&ddid=46399 I looked up the coil on the internet and I thing it was modified. It looks like it was cut apart. This black box was connected to it and I think it's a CDI: 

http://img.motorkari...4-04/138634.jpg and I thik it is damaged.

I replaced it with CDI from my chinese scooter and the bike started again. But it had small power.

http://www.motorkari...tail&ddid=46571

In the end I bought second-hand ignition coil. http://img.motorkari...4-04/139932.jpg and the bike rode like never before, started easily on first kick although when running on idle or on constant rev. the engine emits. 

But yesterday no spark again. Any ideas how to check right function of the ignition or the generator?

Thanks for replying, Jakub.

Sound's like both the Fuel System & Ig. System needs work ?

Start with a Service manual.

Test All your Ig. Components.

Start with Switchs & Grounds.

Keihin Carb. 39 to 41mm FCR Pumper's have worked well for me !

If your running the OEM Long EX. Can ? You can do Better ! 

Tomorrow I'll have the carb. spare parts :-) which is fine but won't solve the ignition :-( I will just change the parts and let it be. Although damaged, the carb. works fine.

Well, I have this manualhttp://www.motorkari.cz/downloader.php?cfile=sfjmf there is a lot of information but in my opinion still a lot is missing. Is there any better manual to download? (I didn't look it up yet).

As you mentioned the switches, I was suspecting the engine break switch, so I disconnected it from the ignition coil - still no spark. I'll have to do some electrical measurements. After the weekend I'll have several days off, so I will probably have some time to play with the bike.

Don't forget all your connectors.

Make sure there's no rub through spots, Anywhere in your wiring harness ?

Not knowing what make components you have.

You can also check Husaberg & or Husky values for reference. & Replacement parts.

Check all years close to your year, Newer / Older ?

The Verts were base on those bikes, after all.

Spark fixed :-) it was a dead spark plug. Which is good, because it can be easily replaced, but question is why did it stop working so soon. The spark plug didn't work more than 15mth. I thing that is too little.

During the weekend I mounted the new carb. parts. Unfortunately all the parts didn't arrive as I ordered them :-( atomiser came in wrong diameter. The original one is 2,65mm and I got a 2,80mm one. The choke jet didn't arrive at all. I would try to reorder it but shipping lasted almost 2 months which sucks.

So I took the 2,8mm atomiser soldered the hole and then drilled a new 2,5mm hole and fitted the hole to the needle with sand paper. Well this did change the behavior of the engine. The engine still skips when running on constant revs, but much more. I thing the soldering and then fitting with sand paper isn't the right way to make a smaller diameter atomiser. So I will have made a new atomiser from a latheman which will fit my needle and see the result.

Prolly a bit late on this topic but how did you like the PHM38? I am thinking of putting it on my en450. Was is a swap and did you have any issues?

-> VTvor: I'd say right on time :-) 2 weeks ago I mounted a new atomiser I talked about in previous post. The new atomiser is 2,55mm diameter and I think the bike lost a bit of power or is less explosive. At constant revs. the mixture still gets a bit rich, so the engine skips and this makes the whole bike jerk.

Another guy, who rode VOR 530 told me that Keihin carb. works fine for these bikes. But I don't know the type.

Edited by klubko

Klubko, Was that the original carb? Im not to familiar with the older vor's and was thinking of replacing my vhb38 non pumper with that carb.

-> VTvor: yes, it was the original carb. PHM 38Z5 is a stock carb for VORs, but as you mentioned your vhb38 is a non pumper, PHM 38Z5 has no pump either (I hope I understand it well non pumper means, there's no acceleration pump).

Stock VOR carburettors according to the manual: Dell'orto, concentric - Ø 38 mm. VHSB 38 / (cross SM/503 PHM 38Z5)

My '01 400 had stator failure that occurred over several weeks. Would run, then not run, then run during a couple of week period.

Was able to check the stator and found it had an intermittent internal ground causing the problem. 

Sent stator to europe for a re-wind. Re-installed and it's run great every since.

A possible cause of your problems, if I read your posts correctly...

Good luck!

http://www.uk-motopl...m/services.html

Steve Hardaker did the work. Found some good referral information so I sent it to him, overseas.

Price and timeline were good, imo...

Did good job, no complaints from me.

I'm searching for plastic, right shroud specifically. Any suggestions on sources?