Sign in to follow this  

What type of gear to get?

I'm just starting out and I need to get some gear for trail riding.  Helmet, boots, and goggles are obvious necessities, but what other gear should I get at a minimum?  I don't want to spend an awful lot and don't care for a bunch of crazy graphics.  Just plain solid colors.

Thanks, and any particular brands that are better?  For instance, I found a Bell SX-1 helmet for under $100, but I see helmets can go for as high as $500.

Edited by mossman77

Ill pay 500$ for a pair of good boots but not on a helmet... I honestly do not see the benefit of paying that much more for something that has the exact same safety rating as a helmet that cost 100 bucks.  For your gear check out Rocky mountain atv and see what they have on clearance!  Good deals, good luck.

Ok, I have a list of gear that I'm about to purchase.  One question I have is the boots I am getting have shin protection built in.  Therefore, I presumably need knee guards only (without shin protection).  Is this correct?  Seems obvious, but the reason I am asking is because most of the boots I've looked at have shin protection and most of the knee guards I've looked at also have shin protection.  Why would you want/need both?  Reminder, I'm a beginner and will be doing mostly if not all trail riding.  No racing or jumping (at least not yet).

Ok, I have a list of gear that I'm about to purchase.  One question I have is the boots I am getting have shin protection built in.  Therefore, I presumably need knee guards only (without shin protection).  Is this correct?  Seems obvious, but the reason I am asking is because most of the boots I've looked at have shin protection and most of the knee guards I've looked at also have shin protection.  Why would you want/need both?  Reminder, I'm a beginner and will be doing mostly if not all trail riding.  No racing or jumping (at least not yet).

the shin protection from the boots does not cover the distance to your knee, thats where the knee guards come in and ya they go inside your boot.

Sounds uncomfortable as hell. I already ordered knee guards only. We'll see how it works out. May have to swap them for something else.