Sign in to follow this  

Lessons learned - and advise?

So here is my question for those of you that have modified your bikes for more power. If you had to do it all over again would you.  If not, why? What mods would you avoid if you could go back in time? What was your number 1 mod that you would recommend? I tinker and modify everything I have owned, but often find myself wishing that I would have left it alone and kept it stock and simple.

The reason I am asking this is because I really would like more power and snap from my 13 DRZ-S, I sold my 01 YZ426F for this bike and I am really missing the power output.  I don’t expect the DRZ to run like the YZ, it’s a different purposed bike; however I feel my DRZ should run better.  So far I have done the 3x3, jetting, and removed the pea shooter and 14T counter sprocket.  It does run better than stock, you can tell it breaths better for sure and sounds a little better.

This is my first dual sport bike, I live in Colorado so high altitude is a factor. I plan on using this bike for adventure riding; I would like to explore a bunch of places around the state.  I need it to run good on the highway but I don’t intend to ride it at 80mph on the interstate all day long, mostly two lane mountain highway to dirt roads and trails. I like challenging trail riding also.

I really do like this bike, it looks great, starts and runs really good.  With some suspension work and some more power I will really enjoy it!

• Like 1

make sure whoever does any motor work, if its not you, knows what they're doing. I had to have my motor in my 06 done more than once in a month or so. i say with whatever you do its better to be safe than sorry. dont put something back together and just say "i'll do that later" if its something you could just do and not have to worry about. These bikes are supposed to be fun and help get you away from whatever worries you. I dont want to get away from one worry, just to move on to another one. I really like the big bore. but each thing you supports the other. i guess exhaust is the start of everything. I ran just exhaust and cams for a while and that wasnt bad..

No regrets at all,    definately faster now.

I have the MRD/SSW, hot cams (profesionally installed by Jaw(what part of cali)knee21 himself, and FCR MX-39,  biggest bolt on HP was the FCR carb,  HC is next and then the exhaust.

Stock bike will get up to speed,  i did a speed run first time out with me DRZ ,  hit 99mph,  it took forever to get to it tho,  with the mods it gets up to speed so much faster and pulls so much harder all the way there. 

• Like 2

Biggest regret was wasting my time jetting the stock carb... definitely get the fcr if you want a more snappy bike. I also have hotcams and mrd exhaust like 150ron and I really have no complaints. I did the fcr, cams and exhaust all at once so it was a rather large increase in performance. I am quite pleased with it.

• Like 2

Biggest regret was wasting my time jetting the stock carb... definitely get the fcr if you want a more snappy bike. I also have hotcams and mrd exhaust like 150ron and I really have no complaints. I did the fcr, cams and exhaust all at once so it was a rather large increase in performance. I am quite pleased with it.

Nice,   are you considering a BBK too,  or do you find the bike has enough power as is now with those 3 upgrades?

Leave it mostly stock.  Where you will enjoy it most, (S model, dirt road exploring) more epower is of no advantage. Focus on bigger gas tank, tires, suspension, gearing, comfort, luggage, etc.

• Like 5

Nice, are you considering a BBK too, or do you find the bike has enough power as is now with those 3 upgrades?

No way, im all done modding.... said no person on tt ever... yeah. I almost went for the bbk over the winter with the rest of the parts but decided I would wait. The bike has under 7000 kms on it! I think maybe next winter I will go for the bbk and the act gears (almost pushed purchase on that as well...) loving the extra power know but the bike will never be the 230 lb, 70 hp enduro monster (ktm 300xcw) that I want... but ideally I will have both bikes in a year or two anyways... and then the drz will become more of a longer distance adventure/trail bike... I can dream right? Edited by barker14
  • Like 1

I have a the fcr and mrd. I let my buddie ride it who was thinking about going to a ktm. Now he wants to just do the same because it will be way cheaper

• Like 1

Leave it mostly stock.  Where you will enjoy it most, (S model, dirt road exploring) more epower is of no advantage. Focus on bigger gas tank, tires, suspension, gearing, comfort, luggage, etc.

True,  in the dirt the DRZ stock is plenty strong,  out on the street is where the mods shine and you really feel the difference.

this is the way i feel about it, it is what it is .. if your heading for some hairy tight stuff throw you a sprocket on the back about the size of a dinner plate and let it eat lol .. if you really want more power to tear up the local mud hole find you an old used 2 stroke 400 .. be alot easier ..

I mod most all of my bikes, vehicles and watercraft.

I do regret some of the mods that require constant tinkering like carbs or ones that cost a ton with little gain.

For the DRZ I do not plan to touch the motor or carb. Mine runs so nice and starts with 0 effort without having to monkey with it.

I know the carb, 3X3 and full system helps wake up the DRZ but there are too many posts of people with tuning issues, I don't have it in me to go down that road.

Maybe if I did not have a crazy fast track bike I would feel different but since I do I like the DRZ the way it is.

I did do a bunch of comfort mods and also doing the suspension but that's about it.

all good feedback, thanks everyone for responding this is helpful. My only pick so far is the stock carb, non adjustable needle, and the fuel screw had a anti-tamper plug so you cannot even adjust for altitude and jetting changes!  I think the FCR and some sort of free flowing exhaust will be good upgrades for me in the future, but first suspension and more aggressive tires. I can see me dropping this bike on the trails I like with the factory tires.

Thanks everyone.

So what are you guys opinion on just doing the FCR and maybe stage 1 hot cams with the stock exhaust? Im wanting to keep the noise down if possible. Maybe use a Yoshi RS3 with the quiet insert as its not too bad.

So what are you guys opinion on just doing the FCR and maybe stage 1 hot cams with the stock exhaust? Im wanting to keep the noise down if possible. Maybe use a Yoshi RS3 with the quiet insert as its not too bad.

Out of curiosity, I ran my bike with the stock exhaust for a few weeks with the FCR and cams and then switched back to the open pipe.  Adding the FCR and cams with the stock exhaust will make a nice, noticeable difference but it will not be night and day.  The bike will be more responsive and it will have more overall power in the low to mid-range rpms and just a bit more near the top.  It won't rev out like an open pipe will allow though.  The only benefit of using the stock exhaust is keeping the noise level down.