Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF 450R FI won't start

I have a 2009 CRF 450R that we cannot get started.  I am looking for help on this as my friend is a 20 year motorcycle technician on all models and him and I have not been able to get this bike running except last nigh for a few minutes.

When the bike is kicked over ever 4 to 5 times it backfires.  We have replaced the fuel pump, injector, map sensor was broken and replaced.  Timing has been checked and is in time.  Spark tester indicates strong spark.  Last night after replacing the injector it craked after dialing in the fast idle knob a little and it ran after a very fast kick about 15 times.  It ran with no exhaust, no subframe but allsensors plugged in.  After we but the subframe on and the exhaust it went back to how it was before with every 4 to 5 kicks backfiring.  The only thing we can think of is Yamaha had issues with the cam sproket slightly spinning in the cam itself since it is pressed on.  has and/or does anyone have any idea what may be the problem and seen sproket spin on Honda bikes?  Thanks!

I had something similar happen on my 12 and as best as i could tell it was a loose connection. The bike would run for a few seconds before dying off. Timing, spark, fuel pressure, fuel flow....everything looked good. Out of desperation i disconnected and reconnected all the connections on the bike and after firing it up it continued to run. No problems since.

My 11 acted like that. The TPS was bad. Replaced it. Back to normal.

Thanks for all the great advice.  It has plenty of compression when tested.  So I would think that would elimante a value issue.  I have thought of the TPS and the electrical connections as well.  Almost everything has been unplugged and reconnected.  I will try the last few connections tomorrow night.  RUSVD did your bike flash a code when the TPS was bad?  Jon-D did you have a code too?  Thanks!

Yes, it had 8 blinks. It did not want to rev up, and was very had to start.

My 2011 had this problem aswell so I started messin around with connections then I decided to check the fuel pump so I pulled it out and the terminal for the positive wire inside the tank had rotted so the wire was no longer connected to the fuel pump I just soldered on a new terminal and the problem was fixed, even if there was no fuel pressure the bike started every now and again for about 10 seconds.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398813439.220851.jpg

Friends 11 ecu was loose Tokyo mods caught it, it would run ,then die, start,not start. Its something simple ,good luck.