Discover Pass, Dual Sport and OHV tags

I know this has been discussed but I couldn't find the topic. :banghead:

Basic question is do you need a Dicover Pass for a plated bike that also has OHV tags?

I will haul the bike to riding areas in a PU that has a Discover Pass, just didn't want to also buy a DP for the plated bike that also has OHV tags.

Thanks

I don't think you do if you are OHV registered as well.  I'm not, but I haven't been stopped on my plated bike...then again, I won't stop.  They'll have to hunt me down to make me pay for 2 passes to ride around in the hills.

BTW, how do we get an initiative going to revoke this tourism detractor?

• Like 5

Yes, technically you need a DP if parked/hanging out on dnr land on your plated dual sport. Riding through would be same as driving through in a car.

Not parked and you are ok.

Here is my list when riding in and through dnr land

Drivers license - check

Moto endorsement - check

ATV tag - check

License plate tags - check

Discover pass - check

Freedom isn't free.

Rolliew is correct. Not needed if you aren't parked (even just to use the outhouse) on DNR, WDFW, or State Parks land.

If you trailer it to an OHV area then use the OHV trails you only need the OHV tags.

But what about the time the bike is parked next to the truck while I put on riding gear?

My work around would be to park at the end of a spur road so less visible while loading/unloading.  And like the bears do everything in the woods. :goofy:

• Like 1

I contacted the DFW in regards to this. Reply is below.

Seems that with a  Street Legal/Registered Motorcycle, if you want to park and unload to ride, you would need to have a Pass for both vehicles. 

I guess you could park and unload outside of the State-managed recreation lands where legal/permitted, and then ride in. 

Thank you for contacting the Department of Fish and Wildlife.

If you are going to have both your truck and motorcyle in a State Park at the same time, then yes you will need two Discover Passes. If you are only going to have one vehicle in a State Park at a time, then you will only need one Discover Pass. The Discover Pass is good for two vehicles but one at a time. There is two lines on a Discover Pass for two different license plates.

For more information please go to the Discover Pass Frequently Asked Questions at: http://discoverpass.wa.gov/faq/ or to the Discover Pass Home Page at: http://discoverpass.wa.gov/. Information is being updated weekly.

For questions or comments regarding the Discover Pass you may also contact us directly by phone toll-free at 1.866.320.9933.

Thank You,

Christine Robinett

WDFW Licensing Division

Recreational Customer Service Representative

Phone: 1.866.320.9933

• Like 1

I have a street registered dual sport that I haul to Tahuya. Obviously, my Discover Pass is hanging in my truck. As I understand it, my motorcycle needs its own Discover Pass, or OHV tags, while using the Tahuya trails. I opted to get OHV tags on my bike, because the full price of the tags goes to OHV improvements and such, while the Discover Pass goes to state parks, hiking trails, and lots of other crap as well as OHV areas. I think the legislature has considered making an exemption for plated bikes, but I don't think anything has been done.

Hopefully, Tod701 will chime in, because he's really in-the-know about legislation. You might PM him.

Edit: BetaRocker just answered the question (Posted while I was writing this, or I would have quoted). Thanks for doing the legwork, Beta!

Edited by thepauly

So if your dual sport bike (non ORV registered) is parked in the back of your truck (not on a trailer) while putting on gear that takes longer than 21 minutes, does it need a DP or is it just equipment loaded on a truck?

While it's on/with your truck, it isn't an issue. When you ride away down the trail on it, you need the discover pass on both vehicles, or a discover pass on the truck and OHV tags on the bike.

While it's on/with your truck, it isn't an issue. When you ride away down the trail on it, you need the discover pass on both vehicles, or a discover pass on the truck and OHV tags on the bike.

But I thought the DP was only needed if I parked my street licensed dual sport on DNR land? If I don't dismount the bike and/or place the kickstand down I believe the bike is not parked. It's essentially in motion vice being parked and a DP or ORV tags are not required. Of course the pickup has a DP while parked at the DNR staging area.

Edited by shrubitup

But I thought the DP was only needed if I parked my street licensed dual sport on DNR land? If I don't dismount the bike and/or place the kickstand down I believe the bike is not parked. It's essentially in motion vice being parked and a DP or ORV tags are not required. Of course the pickup has a DP while parked at the DNR staging area.

The DP is required to use state lands, not park on them. Take Tahuya for instance. It's open to 4x4 street vehicles, like jeeps and trucks, as well as dirt bikes and quads. If you drive your jeep to Tahuya, and then drive down the trail in it, you need to have a DP. It isn't a question of parking, it's a question of use. 

• Like 1

The DP is required to use state lands, not park on them. Take Tahuya for instance. It's open to 4x4 street vehicles, like jeeps and trucks, as well as dirt bikes and quads. If you drive your jeep to Tahuya, and then drive down the trail in it, you need to have a DP. It isn't a question of parking, it's a question of use. 

that's not entirely true.  All state land use does not require a DP.  Only those areas that are signed and have 'improvements' is how I understand it.  Which is why I often park near the sign, but on the side it doesn't govern.  I've heard that so many folks were doing it, so they made some rule that ya have to be 'x' amount of feet away from the sign.  Whatever...I will avoid paying as much as possible.  If it weren't for Walker Valley, I prolly wouldn't have one ?

• Like 1