Sign in to follow this  

Washington Discover Pass, Dual Sport and OHV tags

And the $30 WA fee is wrong because we also need the $25 OHV tag.

Most WTA members don't need an ORV permit.

Good point, of course it would be the WTA view rather than our view. :facepalm:

I don't know if this has been discussed recently but how much money does the DP raise each year?

And then; Are we getting our money's worth?

I don't know if this has been discussed recently but how much money does the DP raise each year?

And then; Are we getting our money's worth?

I don't have the numbers handy right now, but it is way less than they anticipated.

The DNR gets their whopping $2.40 from each pass, but none of that must go towards facilitating motorized recreation.

So far I have not been given data on exactly what the DNR spends the money on.

Edited by tod701

I bet they spend every last cent, and then some on signs and enforcement.  This isn't a money maker, it's a politicians wet dream.

Can we start an initiative to dump it?  How many signatures?

This isn't a money maker, it's a politicians wet dream.

Yep.

It's all about funding State Parks.

Historically they have been funded out of general fund money.

The plan was to cut off that source of coin and replace it with a user fee system so the money previously allocated to Parks could go to things that had less public support and the public would pony up to keep access to State Parks.

Can we start an initiative to dump it? 

We could.

Successful initiatives usually need a few million dollars of backing.

Problem is as it stands today, no d-pass = no State Parks.

Hard to get much support for shutting down/selling off those public assets.

If you could get support for funding State Parks from the general fund that might get some traction.

(I would support it if written properly)

If we could remove the DNR from the program that would be better, but . . . .

How many signatures?

Somewhere around a quarter million last time I checked.

• Like 1

I can't imagine the D-pass is paying the Parks bill, or even close to it....so that's a chink in their armour

I can't imagine the D-pass is paying the Parks bill, or even close to it....so that's a chink in their armour

About a third of what Parks say they need to sustain what they have now.

WTA members don't buy disco passes either. They park  around the corner and walk in, when they are done hiking they stop in town and ask the local restaurant for free hot water for their herbal tea bag while they share the cheapest thing on the menu.

• Like 5

WTA members don't buy disco passes either. They park  around the corner and walk in, when they are done hiking they stop in town and ask the local restaurant for free hot water for their herbal tea bag while they share the cheapest thing on the menu.

I'm still stoppin at the Red Barn or getting Mexican no matter what happens :)

Sooooooo, I have my bike dual registered as a CYC and as a snowmobile. Is it possible to triple register? Never gonna happen, but just wondering. My bike costs me more to license than all of my other vehicles combined. We love Washington.

I bought a bike over the weekend. The tabs were still good tell May. I was thinking that i would only transfer the title and buy tabs in May. Thinking $100.00 tops . Wrong answer . I walked out a $166.00 lighter. Evidently starting the first of the year you now have to buy a new plate and tabs when you buy a vehicle in Washington state.

Sooooooo, I have my bike dual registered as a CYC and as a snowmobile. Is it possible to triple register? Never gonna happen, but just wondering. My bike costs me more to license than all of my other vehicles combined. We love Washington.

Hmmmmm . .. .

So you've got street plates and a snow machine tab and want to add ORV tabs?

It can be done, but ...........

He should also register it as a boat. 

Maybe he can register it as a mountain, or a bald eagle? Gotta be some exemptions for that?  :excuseme:

He should also register it as a boat. 

I've considered doing that with my bikes so I could legally apply for a gas tax refund :devil:

• Like 2

I've considered doing that with my bikes so I could legally apply for a gas tax refund :devil:

I thought about this but they say you have to pay the state sales tax on the fuel instead.

Haha. If it were a bald eagle I could get carbon credits, right?

Possibly. No longer protected under ESA but do have protection under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. Your nest would hafta be located in a state designated critical area to be eligible to apply for complimentary carbon credits. :prof:

• Like 1

On 18-May-2015, the Mason County Superior Court has once again upheld the NMA / WOHVA position concerning the Discover Pass requirements as they relate to vehicles dual registered as both ORV and street vehicles.

Vehicles registered as an ORV are not required to have a Discover Pass where ORV use is legal regardless whether or not the vehicle is also registered for street use.

Reference: Case number 14-2-00243-6

Edited by tod701
  • Like 2