Sign in to follow this  

Vertex piston Hot cams Stage 2 Pump gas?

If I put a 12.5/1 vertex piston with a stage two Hot cam will I have to install kibblewhite stainless steel valves with new springs and can I run pump gas with this setup on my 2005 Honda CRF 450R. Looking to get all parts rounded up before I need them. Appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks

GEDC0524.JPG

No problem with pump gas as that's a pretty mellow compression ratio. I would go with a 13-13.5:1 with that cam and pump gas. Don't screw with the valves unless they need it.

Edited by Eddie8v

Don't waste your time with a 12.5

Most bang for your buck with a 13.5 and yes it'll be fine with a stage two and 91/93 octane. Unless the valves are shot then you don't have to worry about em if you don't wanna spend the money now

Echo... echo... echo...

13.5 on a high-hr bottom end can ruin a perfectly good day, so be sure rod play is in spec..

Edited by Eddie8v

Also I'm a cp piston fan. These pistons are known for flipping and cp's tighter fit in the bore helps me feel better about running the shit out of my motor to the rev limiter and back.

A worn out bottom end can ruin a good day fast no matter what compression piston your running.

Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 1

Dirt Pics 001.jpg  Swweeet. I like the 13.5/1 deal. Will probably change the intake valves to stainless and check seats just to be sure. Lucky to have a spare motor to install all this stuff so I can just slap it in the bike when completed.That way I can ride all I want and install motor at end of season. Appreciate the rod tip check also. Thanks Guys