Sign in to follow this  

2007 KLX 300 as first bike

I'm looking to get into dirt bikes and have a line on a 2007 KLX 300. I live in Wichita and the bike is in Kansas City so I would have to drive to go get it. The main thing that worries me about it is there is no title with the bike. Is this something I should indeed be concerned about? I asked the owner what happened to the title but haven't heard back yet so we'll see what he says. Also, it's listed at $1800 but he said he would go $1700 bottom dollar. Is that a reasonable price for what appears to be a stock bike in relatively good shape?

As far as the right bike for me goes, I'm 6'3' ~200 lbs athletic build. I have experience riding 4 wheelers and had a street bike in college, but only a couple rides on dirt bikes. I'm not really looking to race, and more interested in trail riding and maybe riding in Colorado. Also, there are a few local pastures I have access too that I'll probably spend a good amount of time at riding. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I included a link to the bike for reference:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4430609102.html

KLX 300.jpg

I would look at the blue book prices for that year to see what that model is bringing. They started producing the KLX300 in 1998 and they were virtually unchanged thru the 2007 model year when it was discontinued. I bought mine new in 1999 and still ride it today although it has received several upgrades over the years. You would probably have to do some gearing changes given your weight especially riding in Colorado but it is certainly up to the challenge as long as you are not expecting a real trail blazer. There are a lot of things you can do to the bike to get more power and handling out of it and still maintain dependability. I would recommend it if your price research showed it to be a good deal.    

Test ride it and you'll know if it's worth what he's asking for it. Throw a real low number at him who cares, it's most likely worth less than what he wants for it

I never got a title with mine when I purchased it new. I received a Certificate of Origin. Is he the original owner ? You do not need a title unless you intend to make it street legal and tag it. The state of Kansas will no longer do that. Have him sign a Bill of Sale and you should be good to go. It is hard to tell by the picture but some of the parts or lack thereof do not appear to be original. You might want him to explain that. Although not a bad thing it can be an indication of how the bike was ridden.